Adventures at the DMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
My God, where do they hire these people?

I was finally able to get the title in my name and get tags for my 78 I bought in November. Being it was an out of state purchase, I was required to have the car there with me and with this crazy winter ( aka salt ) Im just now getting this done.

Highlights of my adventure;

1) Being told I had to stand in line X only to then be told I needed to be in line Y after I get to the front. Classic DMV.

2) Lady tells me we need to go outside for her to do the VIN inspection. Shes right behind me yet I'm waiting outside for like 5 minutes before she shows up. When she finally does, she tells me to come back in and pay first.

3) Tells me my VIN is not correct because it didn't have 17 characters. I would expect a worker at the DMV to know older cars had smaller VINs....

4) After getting my milage down I'm now back in line just to discover she wrote down the wrong milage. Was listed as only 874. You see, she wrote down the trip odometer reading.....which was actually 87.4. Really?

5) Wait some more while a different lady now has to go back out to my car to get proper milage only to have her come back and verify the 874 miles is correct. Had to tell her it has 14k and some change. She just says f*ck it and writes down 14k even. Apparently actually milage isn't a big deal....unless they say it is in which case it's of paramount importance.

6) After all that BS it's back in line again so I can get my actual plates. Guy had no idea how to do Historical plates so it took 3 times as long.

7) My receipt says I have a 4 door.

Last edited:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Honorable mention; was given paperwork to fill out and they gave me the wrong form so had to fill out another.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I haven't registered my car yet but i need to register it, get the vin verified by the state police and then they release the title.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Are you a AAA member? They can take care of a lot of the registration hassles and paperwork (and a lot shorter lines). I probably had it easy because it was an intra-family transfer. I still had to get the vehicle independently verified by a third-party inspector (since the vehicle was not on-site). But once I got that documentation, it was smooth sailing.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds about right.

I once had to register a car (that I had a legit paper title for) as a "1936 replica" because the engine number didn't match. It was like the state patrol had never experienced a hot rod before.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Oh good,it's not just my state...i remember going to the dmv when i was a kid with my dad,everyone was smoking inside,it was so awful.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As much as I hate the weather, the roads, most of the people, etc here in Iowa, there are no inspections, no laws, none of that bs here. All 4 times I've been to the DMV I've gotten in and out in under an hour. It took me like 15 minutes to get my 18 year old license. I had made time the whole rest of the day too.

Reactions: 1 user

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
It seems like dmv sucks everywhere

I've never had any major problems with the Delaware DMV. I wouldn't normally go to their locations North of the Canal because they are far busier than the locations in Lower Slower Delaware, but they have never given me a legitimate reason to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor