adventures in header installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
it all started so simply.... I should've suspected something.... :?

I ordered a double hump crossmember from JEGS and a set of flowtech headers from work and waited for all the pieces of the puzzle to arrive.

I shouldv'e suspected something... :?

the parts arrived and I finally got a beautiful day to install them.

I should've suspected something... :?

I got the stock manifolds off with little effort, and anticipated some issues gettin the headers in, but suprisingly they went in with ease. 😀

I went on to the crossmember and installed it with no problems.

already having some pipe, I set about, happy as a lark that everything was going so easily....

I still should've suspected something... :?

this is about the point where everything turned sour......

turns out that I didn't read the notes on the JEGS website, noting that there was only 2 sets of headers that it was desgned to work with it.... having not seen that notation, I noticed the problem when the pipe with the collectors came straigt into the bottom bend of the crossmember...

after finding such note, the headers were returned and the correct fitting ones were recieved.

anticipating another easy install I set about the task of installing the new headers.

still I should've suspected something...

short story long, after 3 hours of fighting,removing odd parts, etc..., I've come to the determination that the engine is coming out for this...

I figured that while it's out, I'll go ahead and re-seal the engine and paint it up, along with cleaning up the engine compartment. this'll give me a chance to see if I can figure out what's inside the motor as well. I got this engine in a trade with a convienient 68 chevy c10 longbed carrying case, that I should've wondered when the previous owner was too scared to drive it anymore. :shock: the thing would almost bring the front wheels off the ground, but with manual steering/brakes, and 3spd on the column, it was scary to drive, and the regal seemed the most logical recipient.

I'll take photos along the way and keep y'all posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor