Advice for classic newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dano455

n00b
May 31, 2016
MA
Hey guys i love classic cars and im looking at getting a el camino as a daily driver i live in MA yes it snows. And yes id drive it year round im aware of the salt and rust issues and a found a way to deal with that but im look at different models and prices and i came a across a gmc caballero excuse me if i spelt it wrong. I was jusg wonder sense it made by the same company would it be a bad idea to brand it as an el camino? Also some may think why use a nice classic as a daily well i really dig the car and now im getting towards being able to own one but i dont wanna have to wait 10 months out of the year to drive it for only 2 i figured that i could find one thats needs some work and be able to drive it all year. If you guys could leave any advice for me on what yr is the best or anything at all please ask or share price range for thoses wondering is 5k ps college student

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with driving a G body all year and please share your way of dealing with the salt and snow.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
If you drive it year round just remember it lacks things like traction control, ABS etc that modern cars have. I learned to drive in 80s cars and they are not as good in the snow as most newer vehicles are. Take it slow on the road and it will get you there. Just remember that because it starts moving does not mean it will stop moving. :).

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a posi, 4 snow tires and weight in the back will get you through snow that front wheel cars are stuck in. Your traction control are in your arms and feet. ABS brakes are not needed and you can stop faster without when you know how to brake.

WordMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2016
Lenoir City, Tennessee
When going to look at a car, bring a check sheet with you that details every portion of the car.

Example:

Left Front Fender

-Rust
-Dents/dings
-Paint condition
-Trim

Under Hood

-Oil leaks
-Missing parts
-A/C components
-Engine Oil Condition _Dirty? _Water in oil?
-Tapping or knocking sounds
-Belt condition
-Transmission Fluid _Black or Dirty? _Smell?
-Brake fluid _Black or Dirty? _Low?
-Rust

Obviously, these are not complete, but they should give you an idea. You want every portion of the car covered because, if the car appears to be in great shape, or appears to be a deal, it is easy to get excited and forget to check a crucial area. On "special" cars (a 442, for example), make sure to do your research and know what codes to look for on the engine, transmission, differential, VIN, etc.

Rowshak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
Hi and welcome,

Well my firend, I drive my GMC Caballero Diablo all year long in Canada Atlantic. ( I call that a divorce hahaha....****...) anyway
I got mine for 3000$, perfect frame and floor. The inside was crappy but nothing that a student can't live with (I'm a unievrsity student too). Original 305 with the 4 barrel rochester. Get the carb set and make sure your electric choke is working properly. For the rims go for the S10 rims (bolt pattern match and there is a lot of them laying around)
There's a guy on youtube that got the best vids to adjust and clean a rochester. (let me know and I'll find them for you)
I drove in snowstroms and crazy rain, the car won't punish you for a mistake (Compare to a mustang) its pretty straight but remember those are heavy and they don't like curve. So be carefull and slow down before hitting a curve and you'll be fine all year long.
For speed, if its solid you can go to a 160 and feel like you're going 100. (kph) If you feel the truck is all loose and shaky well maybe check for an other one....I don't think you want to invest in it right away.
My bet check for something solid may not be pretty but solid, you'll pay a lot less and after you can take the extra 2000$ and get tires, rims, maybe set a few things and a cheap paint job to make you love it haha

Check my photo album you'll see the state that was mine for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor