Advice on 383 stroker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Got my 383 installed. It doesn't want to run good unless it's timed above 30. I watched a few YouTube videos that said to time it at 36. Is that normal ?
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Doug & all; Aluminum headed SBC, 34 to 36 total. Iron headed SBC 36 to 40 total. Your cam, compression & intake track will determine the initial? But will be around 10 to 15 in the 800 RPM range. The weight & gear in your automobile will determine how fast you will want it to advance to the total. Good luck, Ole' Bob.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Got my 383 installed. It doesn't want to run good unless it's timed above 30. I watched a few YouTube videos that said to time it at 36. Is that normal ?
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

You need to clarify what timing you have set to above 30. Base timing without vac advance hooked up should be in the 10-20 range depending on compression, cam, quench distance and headers. You're all in (initial + centrifugal still with no vac can hooked up) is always safe in the 34 range. But could easily be pushed higher depending on your build and available fuel. Make sure that it is all in by 3000-3200 rpms.

Answer these- what is the base and centrifugal timing, and all in rpm? Some motor specs would be great as well. One piece of advice - stop watching you tube before you have to make your new 383 into a do over.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Got the engine running nice and smooth last night. Initial timing (as advised) seems to run nice at 20. The engine has Dart aluminum heads, headers, compression ratio in the 11s, a pretty wild cam and a 4150 series Holley 750. Put on a new harmonic balancer for this 383 and changed sprayers #25 and jets #s 71&76 with a new 6.5 power valve. As is it's no longer shaking or backfiring.
Thanx a lot for all the GREAT advice.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Got the engine running nice and smooth last night. Initial timing (as advised) seems to run nice at 20. The engine has Dart aluminum heads, headers, compression ratio in the 11s, a pretty wild cam and a 4150 series Holley 750. Put on a new harmonic balancer for this 383 and changed sprayers #25 and jets #s 71&76 with a new 6.5 power valve. As is it's no longer shaking or backfiring.
Thanx a lot for all the GREAT advice.

FYI - you're scaring the heck out of me - if I were your motor. WHERE IS THE ALL IN timing (what number and rpm)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor