advice on c5 front brakes for my cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
So I found the ultra rare zq8 2wd blazer spindles! A cool cat was parting with them on Craigslist from Texas and was nice enough to ship them to me. So what I was hoping for was advice on the rest of what I need and the way to go on parts. Here is what I have found so far.

Pepboys has 35 percent of if you order online btw. So I can buy the front c5 calipers with the mounts and hardware rebuilt for 50 after core which my buddy said he will just use my g body calipers as the core. And the Power stop evolution sport kit which includes the rotors, pads and shims for 114. Thats 214 for all. The rotors are slotted and have the holes plus they come with ceramic pads.

Ebay I can buy new gm red corvette front c5 calipers for 250 shipped the brackets are 114 shipped and the slotted rotors with pads for 110 shipped. I would still need hardware as well.

Now I would have to paint the calipers from pepboys because they are not red but hey yellow would look cool. I believe they have to be factory corvettes calipers because they say rebuilt meeting or exceeds manufacturer specs. I have used pepboys parts like calipers before but not high performance types. The fact I can get the calipers for what the brackets would go for is what I like.

The bracket to mount the calipers to the zq8 spindles I am making so that helps and since I hate just making one set of anything I will be making extra so if anyone wants a set just let me know. But has anyone went this route using the rebuilts and sport rotors and pads?

Also what brake likes do I need to work with the g body lines to vette calipers?

Any help I would appreciate, Thanks.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Any history on the bearing/hub assemblies? Nothing holds them together other than a press-fit on the bearings. So, if you're not a gambling man, I'd also go ahead and get new hubs. Cross-check your prices with RockAuto.com, 98-2004 Blazer. They also offer PowerStop products. I have not yet swapped in the knuckles, but I have read that longer brake hoses are needed. Others should chime in on the proper length. Also, if you did not get the gravel shields, you will need to replace their thickness with shims or the abutments that hold the calipers will not be centered on the rotors.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Hi, yes I am replacing the hubs for that exact reason. I just assumed that is what everyone would do that Lol. The sheilds are included but I was going to counterbore my mount .05 to compensate for the shim. I have my own machine shop so making the mounts will pose no issues thats why I offered to make a few extras in case others need them. I have a cnc mill and 2 manual mills plus 2 manual lathes. I have read some have use stock line and not trying to sound ignorant but is the the blazer line or the g body line? While other companies who sell the c5 brackets sell lines but what are they? Which is why I am asking. Back to the hubs, once I have the used set in my hands I want to see if I can figure a way to drill and tap them for a grease fitting. Not sure if I can which is why I want to pull them apart to see. I have priced them and pepboys win again with the 35 off of 75 spent. Last week I brought a new grant steering wheel that cost 100 and paid 70 because it was 30 off. Most times pepboys have atleast 20 off. But thank you for the advice about the hubs.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When you are ready to add LS Camaro rear discs, I found I needed shims to align the abutments with the rotors. I brute forced them, but this could be a simple CAM tape you could set up and punch out upon request. I used 3/32" (.090") sheetmetal, and I've not yet put the axle shafts back on to see if my 'caveman machine shop' products worked out.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I had bought my Calipers used from a corvette guy who was upgrading his brakes. I didn't want to pay the core charge. If you can get the deals at Pepboys, then go for it. I have an Advanced Auto I get steep discount from because I spend so much money there (military and side jobs), so sometime I get my stuff from there.

The calipers and the PABs are the thing you have to source. I bought the whole setup used since it was a better deal and they were low mileage. The PABs can cost as much as the Calipers sometimes.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Also, in my thread somewhere is all the research I did when doing my C5/6 conversion.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I believe you can use the blazer brake lines with the upgrade but I used this kit working good so far
http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10122
BTW I used my junkyard sourced blazer hubs for the last few years with no issues! made sure the were nice and tight...lol I cut down my dust shields to keep the shim intact and I used base c6 calipers without a rebuild, talk about being cheap!!

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Well since I am making the c5 mounting bracket I can spotface/counter bore the area where the pab will sit to eliminate the shim. It will be the same depth as the shim and .05 Wont affect the strength at all. What I like about the pepboys rebuilt calipers is not having to worry about the pab's since they are included. And the harware
Between the calipers and the upgraded rotors and ceramic pads its 214. I will check out the kore kit thanks for that. I will of course evaluate the hubs once they get here but my kids and wife will be in the cutty also plus my wife drives a hr away and I know she will steal it once in a while.(price you pay if you want to play!)
The pepboys deal of course seems the way to go, I will just have to paint them red lol and I am hoping in a way they say corvette but I guess I won't be that upset if they are milled off from the rebuilders. I was just worried they might not be true vette calipers and from another gm car.
The fact they are rebuilt concerns me but they say meets or exceeds manufacturer specs........hha ha ha ....... I know braided lines are the way I want to go ibecausei was just hoping to save some by buying the front and rear set I found on fleabay for 75.
Liqh8 I am still reading your car p*rn so of course I will check what you did. 85gp thanks for the info and liqh8 I think pepboys rebuilts with calipers, hardware and the pab's are the way to go...oh and red caliper paint :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor