Advice Seeking for Future LS Swap in 1984 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2018
Hello everyone! Just want to thank you for taking interest in my asking of questions.

I currently have a 1984 Monte Carlo SS: Been a rust free car most its life, been primer gray for the past 3 years (Garage kept), stock 305, TH350, dual exhaust, smog delete, ect.

Of course, being in the Age of the LS, its been a dream of mine to own a 80s retro muscle car with modern power and electronics.

So, the current conundrum, I also own a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 LM7 with 201K miles. Super, super nice truck. Owned by an elderly man in Texas. 2wd, LS-trim package, tan interior, Medium green pearl for color.
It runs fantastic in the truck now, no issues at all.

The engine in the truck would be replaced with a 6.0 LQ4 with lower miles. I figured how cool it would be for a 2wd 1500 Crew Cab truck to have a 6.0 in it. Only a Z06 cam installed to give just a bit more kick instead of the stock cam.
The goal with the truck was to turn it into a mediocre Prerunner-esque build. No crazy long travel with no sway bars and fancy $4k shocks. A mild daily with no issues taking a dirt road trail at 40mph.

The current idea is to take the 5.3 and swap it into the Monte Carlo with an AR5 Manual Trans swap. The 5.3 would get a good inspection and freshen up to be swapped. The Monte will be like the MMA fighter of the car world. It can keep up with a Corvette around a track (Better brakes/suspension). Out drift a 240sx (Yes, hydraulic handbrake is happening). Drag race no problem (centrifugal supercharger or/and nitrous w/ beefy rear end). And cruise home like a dream in the end.

My questions are if any of you guys think this would be a plausible idea? Would I just be wasting my time and instead put the 6.0 in the Monte? Should I keep the 5.3 in the truck and just modify it there?

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Is the 04 silverado a daily driver?

Don't modify your daily driver unless you have another backup.

Modded daily pickup and a project G body that is modded is a recipe to get stuck without a car working when you have the trans out on the monte for whatever and then your truck breaks down and cant get parts because nobody stocks something on a sunday.

If you have a 6.0 just drop that in the g body. Having a fun project pickup is cool, but then you care about it too much and they you also care about the monte, and having a beater you don't care about that is stock is worth it.

I have 5 cars, 4 of which are project cars and its not rare for 3 of them to be broken simultaneously. When my daily SUV is broke I can drive one of the other project fun cars, but i make sure the daily is stock.

Reactions: 4 users
May 29, 2018
Is the 04 silverado a daily driver?

Don't modify your daily driver unless you have another backup.

Modded daily pickup and a project G body that is modded is a recipe to get stuck without a car working when you have the trans out on the monte for whatever and then your truck breaks down and cant get parts because nobody stocks something on a sunday.

If you have a 6.0 just drop that in the g body. Having a fun project pickup is cool, but then you care about it too much and they you also care about the monte, and having a beater you don't care about that is stock is worth it.

I have 5 cars, 4 of which are project cars and its not rare for 3 of them to be broken simultaneously. When my daily SUV is broke I can drive one of the other project fun cars, but i make sure the daily is stock.
Gotcha! Fortunately I do have various other drivers. I my job gives me access to other cars if I need them. So the 04 truck is a daily now but I do also have a 2000 Tacoma I can use as my daily if needed (beat up bedside and cab). Thanks for your advice! I like putting the 6.0 in the Monte much better in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor