Aftermarket ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
The hardware part isn't that hard. Use Blazer front spindles with Blazer hubs gives you sensors at the front. The rear could also be achieved with Blazer parts, as can the ABS hydraulic block.
I see the hardest part in programming that whole system to the new surroundings. I work in an automotive environment where I get to test drive lots of prototype vehicles testing traction control and driver assist systems for a big OEM supplier and believe me, it only looks easy to program these systems to work correctly (i.e. avoid sudden brake failures).
Google Corvette ice mode for example. A bug that Corvettes carry over since C4 that is still apperent. We just lost a brand new C7 Grand Sport to an ice mode incident on the track. Thank god it wasn't me driving it, but my boss.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Well, don’t plan on driving mine in the rain much, if at all. Thankfully, we only get maybe 30 days of rain a year here (it’s a mixed blessing) so more academic than real-world.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Came across this article in Hot Rod. Interesting idea. I don’t think any G-Bodies came from the factory with ABS. I wonder how much late-model B-Body stuff would interchange.

my right foot modulates the brakes, this is my ABS

Taksisti-foto.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

northern

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2012
norway
Thinking about converting to abs on my cutlass myself, what i have heard is same as mentioned above, get all the parts from a blazer/s10. Front sensors is no problem as i allready have the blazer spindles, the back one im not so shure of. Is the rear abs sensor a separate one or is it just the speed sensor doubling as a abs sensor? Could i Just splice into the wiring from the speed sensor on the trans? (t56)

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Interesting article, I guess. So, one guy proved that by cobbling together a bunch of junkyard parts with a bunch of custom machining it can be done. But why?
I can think of about a million other things I'd rather spend my time and money on.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Interesting article, I guess. So, one guy proved that by cobbling together a bunch of junkyard parts with a bunch of custom machining it can be done. But why?
I can think of about a million other things I'd rather spend my time and money on.

and besides that I do not like ABS brake, I have that system on my Jeep and I don't like it or need it

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In that article linked by the op they say that abs cut down accidents but I bet is they were to check most of the accidents were caused by inattentive drivers, not necessarily distracted drivers, just "drivers" who are in another world

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor