Aftermarket ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I know ABS saved my butt at least once. Dingbat pulled out in front of me on the highway and I reflexively stomped the pedal on my 2005 Magnum. If ABS wasn't there I probably would have done "the slide" either right into them or lost control. Early implementations were bad and clunky and hard to work on, but I think its been finessed enough that if someone came out with an inexpensive and easy to install aftermarket kit I would maybe look at it.

That said my current 4Runner has an aggressive "brake assist" function that I don't particularly like. If you stop too hard, but not like ABS kick in hard, the computer goes "hey I noticed you're trying to stop, let me help you!" and kicks the brakes into overdrive. Really annoying when you think you have it under control and then WHAM.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Really annoying when you think you have it under control and then WHAM.

Kinda like the grade braking on my Silverado. Put your foot in the brake to long or too many times, it starts to engine brake!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Having ABS on a street driven car is a good thing. Saved my butt more than once. Last week, I just dicovered that the cruise control on my daily driver shuts off when the ESP kicks in while doing an emergency double lane change at 120mph without hitting the brakes :sneaky:
Big plus with ABS is that you can hammer the brakes and still be able to steer the vehicle away from the obstacle while getting velocity out of the situation (see my signature).
Driving physics and dynamics is my daily business and believe me, 98% of all drivers cannot execute a panic stop (stomping on that fat pedal in one kick with full force).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor