Aftermarket AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
What kind of AC units are you guys using? Im coming close to the time where I have to figure out what to due with the large hole in my firewall. Looking at some of the companies, vintage air, Old air products ect..

Any recommendations?

pics and details would be great. Thanks.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I would wager over 99% of the people with AC equipped G-Bodys are running the factory stock setups as I can't see any instance where one would need/want to switch to some sort of aftermarket concoction. The factory AC stuff is readily available and they'll bolt right in.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I would use factory also, it works great. But for some reason NO Pontiac (301) hoses are available?!? I kept the 3.8 set up that came with the car and had to fudge the lines to fit the radial compressor to the 301. It sure cools the wagon nicely.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I’ve got 2 El Caminos, one with factory AC and the other with a Hot Rod Air unit (the company is no longer in business).

As mentioned, the factory setup works well, parts are readily available and not in high demand so pretty cheap. Only disadvantages seem to be it is big, complicated, a pain to R&R and the evaporator case on the engine side of the firewall makes it look cluttered and depending on the engine may need to be clearance for valve cover clearance. If you do go with a used unit spend the $50 for a new heater core, it is a real PIA to change a leaking core 6 months down the road.

The HRA unit in the other El Camino works as well as the stock unit, but there is a lot of fitting work to initially get it in. Additionally you will need to buy the firewall panel, a drip panel and likely have to trim down the inside of the glove box. Cost was about $400 for the under the dash unit but the hoses compressor, receiver dryer, condenser, brackets etc are the same cost for either unit.

For the engine swap I did I would go the aftermarket route again, for a pretty much stock car I would just put the factory components in. Just my 2 cents.

The work to put it in is pretty much covered in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25429

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor