Aftermarket air cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
I am accustomed to fords where you just need to cap or reroute vacuum lines when going from stock to aftermarket air cleaner. On my 231, the passenger side valve cover has a hose to stock cleaner. Is that the pcv? I don't have a hose connection on the bottom of my edlebrook. Should I get a breather for the valve cover port? Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner is the crank case breather. There is a small filter in side the air cleaner housing the those connects to. Normally an Edelbrock air cleaner has 'knock outs' on the bottom and comes with a nipple fitting that will allow you to connect the hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. Otherwise just put a breather cap in the valve cover. The PCV should be on the other side.

With a 231 you are probably better off with keeping it stock.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
The hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner is the crank case breather. There is a small filter in side the air cleaner housing the those connects to. Normally an Edelbrock air cleaner has 'knock outs' on the bottom and comes with a nipple fitting that will allow you to connect the hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. Otherwise just put a breather cap in the valve cover. The PCV should be on the other side.

With a 231 you are probably better off with keeping it stock.

Makes sense. Thanks

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Would be fun trying to get an aftermarket breather to fit a dual jet

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Makes sense. Thanks

I have an air/fuel mixture gauge and that told me that a GM duel snorkel even without the hoses to get some cold air supplies the carb more air than an aftermarket open air cleaner. On your 231 I would leave the stock air cleaner.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
This is what I did for my air cleaner. I cobbled up some stuff from a S Blazer, an Astro van and some demented imagination. The 3/4" hose is the PCV intake breather and I just went an old fashioned breather cap on right valve cover to allow the PCV system to flow.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Creative
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The PCV valve is in the intake at the back of the motor by the bellhousing. Just get new filters, and PCV valve and you're good to go. No point in swapping. If your housing looks dirty, just clean it, rough it up, prime and paint it. And get a 231-2 sticker.

Attachments

• 7483_35.JPG
    7483_35.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor