Aftermarket "Check Engine Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinker

n00b
Nov 7, 2020
Reedley, Ca
I want to modify my dash with alumimun and aftermarket gauges and would also add an aftermarket (a round LED with the words "Check Engine" written underneath) check engine light. My question is - is something like that smog legal so I can still pass emissions? I live in California. I have searched and could not find any info on the subject.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Go to the CA dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/smog-inspections/MC Web site for the no BS facts. I would say it will not be required but then I live in a county in TX that doesn't do emissions testing but two counties down from me they do.

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
That's a very good question. I believe (but cannot swear, except to cuss :mrgreen:) that any kind of Check Engine light you can rig up is fine with California smogcheck, so long as it is connected to your motor's factory ECM and everything works like factory.

This must be allowed for, so people can swap a motor from a vehicle that has a Check Engine light into a vehicle that doesn't. I do know that from the Engine Change Guidelines. However, a Referee gives every engine change the once over to make sure it works right. Whether that same logic applies when you just turn up at smogcheck with a different instrument panel, without a Referee having looked at it, might depend on which side of the bed some bureaucrat fell out of once upon a time.

I'll have to find the time to dig through the smogcheck manuals I downloaded from BAR. It's BAR you really need to go to for this ....

(BAR = Bureau of Auto Repair, they're responsible for smogcheck and Referees.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I've scoured the smogcheck manuals, and I can't find anything says you can't do this.

At smogcheck, the tech is supposed to test the Check Engine light. First, it's supposed to be on with KOEO (key on, engine off). Then, it's supposed to stay off once the motor is running. And that's it, there's nothing anywhere says it has to be the original factory light to pass.

There are Aftermarket Parts Guidelines, but the Check Engine light is not mentioned anywhere there. They only list chips and tuners.

Last edited:

Clinker

n00b
Nov 7, 2020
Reedley, Ca
That is kind what I thought. So I will be modifying my dash and will take some pics. I'll let you all know how things go when I take for its emissions test. Thank You for looking thru the info you have and giving me a second opinion besides mine which I know is biased Thanks again and thanks for a wonderful web site

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor