Aftermarket head unit install. Which mounting bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Hey All,

Need some help with what part(s) to order for installing my single DIN head unit in my Malibu. Been looking around for the mounting plate/trim to use for the eventual install but cant seem to find any GM kits for pre 1982.

Here are some examples of what I am looking for in terms of fit:

Can anyone help me determine which install kit I need to order? Trying to gather the last remaining parts I need for the build and this one has me stumped.

Thanks,

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
I'm not sure how they got that nice flush mount but I know the kits for the 1st gen S-Series trucks that cover the G-Body with some slight modifications.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Trimmed the OE bezel til the sleeve fit snugly through it, used the OE steel mount plate notched for the sleeve to support the front, and made a small bracket to hold the stud/bolt on the rear of the head unit. No install kit involved.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I agree with Brian as posted just above....stock bezel cut/trimmed for a single DIN.

Matt I have one like the first pic already cut...looks like it was done pretty well. Actually still has a head unit on it. If you don't have one or don't want to cut up your original.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I did the same as above with stock bezel. I'll post a pic.
I adapted a metal mounting bracket I had from my G series van to hold the back up.
I was looking at all the g-bodies at local car meet and it seemed they all had that extra adapter and the unit sticking out 1/2" or so. Looked like sh*t..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There isn't alot out there for mounting a radio for these cars. It's a flat section so it's easy to make what you need or modify a kit to use with your installation.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
I did the same trimming of the bezel and metal plate to my '82. Would have come out a little straighter if i had steadier hands and wasn't using a dremel tool to cut the plastic, but the plastic ring covered up the small imperfections. For now it's good enough. Speakers however... those damn small front speakers need to be swapped out.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I replaced the 1.5 DIN Delco unit in my Regal with a 1.0 Sony DIN that I ordered from Crutchfield. Love Crutchfeild! They included the shipping, 'pigtails' and install kit with the radio for free. After soldering the 'pigtails' to the radio, the instal was really easy and fast. The benefit to the pigtails is that the factory harness is preserved. There is nothing worse than a butchered harness.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
Crutchfield is awesome, but to get a direct replacement for my am/fm with knobs factory radio was around $350 US if I remember right. Had plugs to add in hidden CD play and what not, which would have been sweet. But I'm poor, and have never spent that much for only a radio for my car. And of course they didn't list anything else that would "fit", but hey... few years later with a digital double din and I would have had plenty of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor