Aftermarket license plate tags

Tomeal

Master Mechanic
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
You can about any older Pa plate but from what I understand you'll have to apply for a personal plate with the old plate's number. The state will send you a new issue plate plat you'll just put away. A buddy did that with his blue plate when they were being phased out. I have a yellow plate ready to go if I want to swap out my Pa Zoo plate.

That's nice to know. Never researched it, but just figured old plates were obsolete when the new design came out. I got a few blue ones, may look into down the road.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's nice to know. Never researched it, but just figured old plates were obsolete when the new design came out. I got a few blue ones, may look into down the road.
With the classic & antique registration they will allow you to replace the current issue plate with a period correct old plate up to the bicentennial plate (last issued in '76.) Not sure if this is allowed with a collectors registration.

Reactions: 1 user

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I think the vintage license plates in PA don't apply to Collectors Registration ... and to clarify, the registration process classifies the vintage plate as a "vanity plate" that just happens to match whatever you entered in the system (I've always thought that was clever)

SEMA has a legislative bill website covering all 50 states, I think about 6 months ago there was a bill in Pennsylvania that would direct PennDOT to design & manufacture license plates -- to be used for the Antique & Classic registrations -- that replicated the plates used in the '60s like seen at this great website ... I think there may have been a bill to extend vintage plate eligibility to the '80s but I think it died in committee

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Interesting on the PA. I was just talking about this to my brother, I have a 1932 Plate for my Ford, and he a 1955 Plate for the pro street.

My I be lazy and ask where you read this?

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting on the PA. I was just talking about this to my brother, I have a 1932 Plate for my Ford, and he a 1955 Plate for the pro street.

My I be lazy and ask where you read this?

On the PennDOT website, search for "vintage plates" and the page / form / application will give you everything you need

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor