Aftermarket Radio Wiring Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I've installed an aftermarket radio, but doesn't shut off after I shut the car off, and even when I power it off, it drains the battery over night...

Anybody know how I should wire it to keep it from staying on after the car is shut off, and possibly save my EQ settings after the car is shut off ?

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Typically there are two power wires that the stereo gets hooked up to. One wire will always have power (this is how your settings get saved) the other wire is your accessory wire that will only have power when the key is on.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Typically there are two power wires that the stereo gets hooked up to. One wire will always have power (this is how your settings get saved) the other wire is your accessory wire that will only have power when the key is on.
I think I have both car power wires connected to one stereo power wire. Red and orange to red

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Bingo! Look up the wiring diagram for the stereo and make sure you have the accessory wire of the stereo hooked up to a keyed power wire. If I remember correctly from your other posts the wiring in your car is a little bit of a mess. I rewired my car with one of the american autowire kits. I would say your car is a prime candidate for a full rewire at some point.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Factory radio wire colors are key one/hot is the yellow, dash light control lighting is grey, all the time on/hot is orange, black is ground, OE radio clock dimmer when dash lights are on is brown. I'm guessing the factory plugs were cut off.

Reactions: 1 users

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
I installed a Kenwood aftermarket radio years back after the OE that I had refurbished years earlier crapped out. I could never figure out why it wont return to the source that was last played. I think it is a setting on the unit rather than wiring.

My car, too, is a candidate for a full re-wire at some point.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
After chasing down the wiring issue you had with the starter/battery/ ignition switch I'm sure you will get this one nailed down soon.

I am using a blue tooth Bose speaker at the moment until I upgrade my tunes

Good Luck

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor