Aftermarket vs junkyard panel experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, need new 1/4 on my '78 monte, found at auto body specialties new, old stamping they said for $200.... Also called arizona junkyard and for full 1/4 AND wheel housing $495.... I would hope these are rust free coming from AZ... What's been anyone's experience with aftermarket panels for any year vs. cut offs from a real car? Thanks

86 CCC*

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2014
The best advice I can give you is to buy the real stuff and not waste your time, and money, on aftermarket panels.

I have an aftermarket hood on my El Camino. It's metal is thinner, so, it's not as strong. It bends and dents easily. I'd replace it with an OEM hood but, then, I'd have to repaint the whole car. Not gonna do it. As I've read in other posts, the body lines and creases are not as sharp or crisp. And, they never seem to fit correctly, adding more work and frustration. So, overall, it's just not worth it.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Not a gbody but my girl bought a 02 trailblazer a while back which had been involved in a fender bender, low mileage, has really been low maintenance and very dependable.... any ways the passenger side fender didn't look right as well further inspection revealed it was a aftermarket unit very weak and I could literally could push it in! so now i'm going to send it back to the body shop to get it repaired properly picked up a OE unit and the quality is way better then the certifit crap!

Nov 4, 2012
Not trying to steer you away from aftermarket panels (many of them are still good) but working in a bodyshop, I can tell you that a lot of aftermarket panels (especially foreign made ones) are made of thinner gauge metal than OEM specs and also do not meet rust proofing requirements. The fit is usually not perfect but do-able with a little persuasion. For panels like full quarters I'd probably go OEM, but things like quarter panel patches or rocker panels I would probably use aftermarket.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, what I expected to hear, thanks... The junkyard in AZ say they will do a full 1/4 cut vs that skin I was considering... Do I have them take some pics and send them before I give my CC? I'm in Chicago so I'd be going on their say it's in great shape. Thanks again

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The panels from AZ are $495 for a reason OEM can be much better than aftermarket patches. Be sure to only buy something based on pictures of the real item. Just because something died in AZ or TX doesn't mean it lived there it's whole life. If you're buying from that I-10 junkyard (forget what it's called) you should be alright. Other forum members have bought on there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor