AGM Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I guess I'm too cheap to consider one.

What is the advantage supposed to be over a standard battery other than additional reserve amps without dropping voltage at the same rate of a standard battery?
The terminals never corrode and they never barf acid on your battery tray. Those are the biggies for me. No lead acid mess.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The terminals never corrode and they never barf acid on your battery tray. Those are the biggies for me. No lead acid mess.
Also supposed to be better in high heat environments

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I could never justify the cost. I ran AGM in my bike and they just didn't last. I run Duracell lead acid batteries and have never had a problem. They are even made in America. I don't even bother charging them over the winter and they start every spring. My oldest one is 6 years old and still starts my truck everytime I hit the key.

• Informative

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What is the advantage supposed to be over a standard battery
In our case the Cobalt uses a trunk mounted battery. It has a vent tube that goes out the bottom of the trunk. At the time no one made that battery but AC Delco and it was a Stealership only $300 investment. So I got the Odyssey AGM for half that and never worried about acid fumes in the trunk. By the time the AGM dropped dead Sears offered a Die Hard model for the Cobalt and I got one on sale really cheap. But Sears said it was in stock and it wasn't even within 100 miles of me. Another Sears story for another time. So far so good though. Anyway AGM and gel-cell was developed for aircraft because they can be mounted in any position without fear of spilling acid. But because of the no warning issue they use two for redundancy.

Reactions: 2 users

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
I have a red top Optima battery in my cutlass never had a issue with it. it is 13 years old!

• Winner
  • Wow

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have a red top Optima battery in my cutlass never had a issue with it. it is 13 years old!
Good thing. If you replace it today, you'd be lucky to get 13 months out of them. I don't know if they fixed their sh*t lately, but there for a while, those were some crappy azz batteries. I wasted too much money on those things.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Optima Red Top in my other G-Body. Keeps my Fi computer happy. Have a Battery Tender for it for the winter. With an ongoing computer memory draw they last about a month before becoming unhappy with the lack of incoming zots. Took about three days for the tender to revive it but went with the slow charge method to avoid issues with using a heavy charger. My old Craftsman is a beast and although the tecks say it is okay it puts out way too much and regularly pops the overload safety meaning it has to cool down and reset before it can try again. Nasty old fossil but the price was right.

Nick

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No terminal corrosion is a big one, leakage isn't much of an issue, usually the battery tray is already ****ed from past batteries. Where are most of these AGM being made? I saw the Parts Master lead acid battery Mom just replaced in her Taurus was Made in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor