Air cleaner options for sbc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
88 cutlass with a sbc. Having an issue getting a standard 3x14 filter to clear the hood on the holley 650 atop the high rise dual plane and 1" spacer. Any suggestions for filters or drop bases? I have a standard drop base filter and it already sits with the choke horn up very close to the top, along with just barely clearing the hood. I need something that will allow enough cfm flow. I know the cheap edelbrock triangle foam filter will fit, but I've seen too many problems with those. I don't want to do a cowl hood. Thanks in advance

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
That's what I was looking at, not as cheap however. My concern is the choke horn protruding and screwing with the metering

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Nobody else? Cowl hood is looking like the only way
Hmmmm. That's a tough one. How much height do you have from the top of the choke horn to the underside of the hood? I have seen guys cut a hole in the hood and install a stub stack from K&N and it looked awesome. Can I ask this: is the spacer necessary? I have never had any power gain on a street car that I ahve owned that made a difference in the mid range. I grant you, every situation is different so I really don't know but, I ran one on my last car and it didn't make any difference whatsoever and this was on the dyno. It may give you the clearance that you need. Just a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
q-jet ! FTW. I spend so much time and effort trying to get my holley to work under the hood, and link up to my cruise and still make the air filter work clearance wise !. BAH!!! I tossed it all for an edelbrock built Qjet. It bolts in place, linkage fits like factory and the Air Cleaner works like it should ( it's a dual snorkel to boot ) !! Don't get me wrong. The holley was a great carb, but the qjet fits and works like it should

Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
The holley is staying, I have an all forged rotating assembly, big cam, 10ish to 1 comp, little head work(soon to be dart pro 1), 3000 stall, etc. I don't mess with qjets on anything other than stock type of motors. I would like to run a stub stack as well and might change the main body to one without choke horn, but after looking at it again today it's super close, like maybe half inch from the top of the carb to the under side of the hood. The spacer is staying it's only 3/4 inch I believe. I'm using it just for higher rpm benefit and also as heat buffer. I've used them on pretty much every "built" motor I've ever had. This car is going to be a weekend/strip car, but everything is function first, and performance is the priority. Thanks guys for all the responses

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I was shifting at 6k with this motor in the last car, and the cam is rated 3-8k rpm even though I lost the specs for it. I had to put an xtreme flow filter on it in the last car when it had a 770 street avenger because it was pulling in so much air at high rpms it wouldn't even run correctly, and one time ended up with my air cleaner flying out from under the car on the highway when I down shifted. So that's why I'm concerned with getting enough air in to it.
Might just cut a hole in the hood and run a velocity stack ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor