Air Conditioning Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
With both compressors being brand new what if any are the advantages of going with a Sanden 508 (which seems popular with aftermarket kits) versus using a R4 compressor.
I am trying to decide if it worth the effort to attempt to install a far from standard ac set up on my Monte and I am considering a remote condenser and possibly a trunk mount evaporator since I have no room to install a traditional set up.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
AC experts chime in.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, I'm far from being an expert in A/C, but I think you may be better off in the long run going with the Sanden unit. I know it will entail getting special mounts and having hoses made, but I think the Sanden is a more bullet proof unit.
I had gone with a brand new AC Delco R4 unit, which works pretty well. However, I've heard some complaints about these units. It was an easy call for me because a friend had given me all the proper mounts needed.
Prior to that I had the long A6 axial compressor which are virtually bullet proof units, but talk about horsepower robbers. Turning those things on are like applying your brakes.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me the R4 would be easier to mount and I was thinking that if the new ones like I bought for my Regal from 4 Seasons might have improvements over the 30+ year old factory installed versions.
And even though they offer an aluminum R4 version the one I bought is a heavy duty and is still pounds lighter than my original.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Oh, so this is for your Regal? I was thinking your Monte. I think it would be fine for the Regal.
Make sure you get a new unit. I've heard that reman'd units have a short lifespan.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Oh, so this is for your Regal? I was thinking your Monte. I think it would be fine for the Regal.
No this would be for the Monte, I just finished doing mock ups on the stand for the SBC that is going in the Regal.
Below is the new 4 Seasons compressor I mentioned above.
20180603_183948-1_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sorry about that. That's a nice clean installation. My AC Delco compressor was made in Mexico. I was a little surprised about that, but better Mexico than China. Expecting an American made part is being optimistic and past tense.
I believe Four Seasons has a plant in Texas or Oklahoma...if I'm not mistaken.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The 4 Seasons appears to be nice quality and I was impressed with the finish and lighter weight.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's a nice clean installation.
Thanks for the compliment, the compressor fits with the look of the engine better than I was anticipating.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the compliment, the compressor fits with the look of the engine better than I was anticipating.
I agree. It's looks right at home there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor