Air Conditioning System

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
I have swapped in a 5.3L into my 86 Monte Carlo. I was able to get the stock compressor to fit on the engine. So I am hoping to get the AC hooked up. Is there anything I need to be should of to get it up and running? Right now I am trying to find a place to make my hoses. I have the fittings, and have one hose made, but the other one no luck yet, since the ends are two different sizes, and nobody local has the hose I need. Any info or tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have swapped in a 5.3L into my 86 Monte Carlo. I was able to get the stock compressor to fit on the engine. So I am hoping to get the AC hooked up. Is there anything I need to be should of to get it up and running? Right now I am trying to find a place to make my hoses. I have the fittings, and have one hose made, but the other one no luck yet, since the ends are two different sizes, and nobody local has the hose I need. Any info or tips would be appreciated, thanks!
Did the A/C work before the swap?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Moisture and trash are your enemies. At a minimum, you need to replace the oriface tube and the accumulator. You also need to flush out all of the R-12 mineral oil as it isn't compatible with the R134A Pag oil. Denatured Alcohol works well for flush. I recommend installing a new parallel flow style condenser as it will really help the performance of the R134A. If it were me, I'd also replace the evaporator core in the interest of having a clean, tight system. Are you sure the compressor is in good shape? Dirt, trash and moisture in the system lead to disappointment.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The AC in the car worked before the swap. Is there any reason I can't run R12?
The compressor for the 5.3 was designed for R134A so I'd think you'd want to go that way. I'm not sure if R-12 will work with it or not.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I was able to get the stock compressor to fit on the engine.
Stock 86 monte compressor or stock 5.3 ls compressor?
If your using the 86 monte compressor, you can use r12, but its expensive stuff.

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
Stock 86 monte compressor or stock 5.3 ls compressor?
If your using the 86 monte compressor, you can use r12, but its expensive stuff.

I have the 5.3 compressor installed on the engine. Can I run R12 through it?

I do have the compressor from the sbc 5.0L as well, but dont have anyway of hooking it up right now...

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The short answer is no, that compressor is built with pag oil in it and to use pag oil.
The system needs to be flushed, as it will have mineral oil in it, which is NOT COMPATIBLE with pag. Then refill with the proper amount of pag (whatever proper weight.)

Typically when swapping from r12 to 134 you would use ester oil as it is a 134 compatible oil and non reactive to mineral oil. Using the new compressor mandates the use of the pag oil, which is not compatible with r12. It will need 134.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor