Air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Best flowing "normal" air filter engine masters tested was a 14x3 flat base K&N air cleaner. Only killed 6.5hp on a 750 horse 496bbc. Oddly, they tapped up the sides and used a filtered lid and it only killed 3hp. They estimated it wouldn't start to be a detriment to airflow until 650hp. Every filter they tested after that added hp, most of them were velocity stacks.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What I found interesting was that the darling of the musclecar crowd, the 14x3 drop base, was a poor performer compared to the flat base. For decades we were told this was the "best" air cleaner, although the intake of heated underhood air never really made sense to me

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
I had one of these. I still regret it to this day: the foam came apart over time and since it was already well saturated with all kind of dirt, the chunks got sucked into the engine. I got some engine damage. no major engine-killer, but I had to replace a few valves...

My advice is NO, DO NOT :) Invest in something better, without foam :)

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Why do you want smaller? They kill power. My advice is that you rethink everything else that makes it "too big" currently (raise the hood height, lower the carb pad, etc...).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor