Air pump device air hose, vacuum system - 305 1986 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Well the title on my Grand Prix cleared so I celebrated with the cheapest upgrade on my car. I replaced the PCV valves and check units and used 20 feet of 3/8, 1/4, and 5/32 vacuum hose. All the ones carb-related, vacuum canister and its lines, all the lines from every vacuum unit on my car are nice and shiny black now. Whoever rebuilt the engine had poor vacuum line and carb hygiene. I bought a GM service manual on ebay and took pictures at a salvage yard. I've added more (and bigger wherever possible) vacuum lines to the setup because so many were unplugged or didn't go anywhere. But, there's a lot more room now due to how I re-routed everything. It's t*ts! The only thing I removed was the check unit that goes from the fat Q-jet to the vacuum purge valve in a 3/8 inch line. No other car I saw in a salvage had one so I tried it out. The car runs real smooth now with the vacuum job complete. Operation Suck was a great success 8)

The hose line from the vacuum control (up by the other sensors and devices on the front of the engine) goes past the AC compressor, through a check valve and into a module or device mounted on another device. That final device attaches with hoses and other crap to the AIR pump. The device attached to the AIR pump with hoses also has big hoses that go toward the firewall. I have one that goes nowhere, just a big unplugged hose about a foot long. I never even noticed it before, not until after I was finishing up the three hour suck job. I didn't realize how much stuff I had removed from my engine compartment! Where does that giant air hose go to? Mine still has the clasp retainer on it. I figured that AIR pump attached device would be a vacuum flaw in my pristine setup, so I plugged the b*st*rd going into it from the vacuum control.

I'd like to get that big hose attached to something proper, and then plug my other vacuum line into the module device thing so that everything is perfect. Anyone know the deal? If I do get it attached to something, will my car even run even better than it does now, or worse I don't want that! :)

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Figured it out. The big ole air hose goes to a tube that goes to the catalytic converter. The thing that would have had the nipple for the hose is busted off, otherwise it would have been kind of straight-forward. Poor nipple. It's called the air check valve, found it on O'Reilly's website. It threads onto the cat tube and then a new hose goes over that. Heck if I know what my car will run like after I do this, but hopefully even better.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If your GP is the same as a Monte SS, then here should be an air intake hose that goes from the A.I.R. valve assembly to the front of the air cleaner. Then there should be a big hose from the back of the A.I.R. pump to the valve assembly. Then there should be 3 big hoses from the valve assembly-1 to each exhaust manifold, and the 3rd to the catalytic converter (which you figured out). Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor