AIR Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Try and find a 442 dual snorkel air cleaner. I think that would work better unless you want to remove all of the emissions equipment, which is very tricky.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
86CutlassUCF said:
I was going to remove this on my 86 307 but ive decided not to. So where does the hose that goes from the this thing to the stock air cleaner assembly go if I get a nice aftermarket chrome air cleaner assembly? Or should I just go ahead and remove it?

Getting a trick aftermarket one will have the same effect as the hose going into the air cleaner. Unless you're running some huge cfm performance carburetor it's a good idea to keep it on there.

But it doesn't effect performance one way or another. The only reason it's hooked to the air box is so your engine can get more air at WOT, but this isn't the main reason - it's to divert air away from your catalytic converter to prevent backfire. If you think about it - it also diverts air decelerating, which isn't helping performance because the throttle is closed. If you convert to a hi po air intake, and leave the tube hanging down it won't make a bit of difference. If it's a restrictive box, then it's a good idea to keep the tube on.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
Im thinking about just returning the after market cleaner(not installed yet) and keeping the whole AIR system but the previous owner got new signle exhaust and it does not have a cat converter. If im going to keep the whole AIR system will i need to buy this? Im not too worried about gaining performance by taking the AIR system away. I just want my car to run good. If it runs good with out the system, ok. If its not going to run good with out the compleye system, then ill keep it. Right now it is missing the belt to the pump and it does not have a cat converter. Ive been having problems like rough idle and even the car shutting off at speeds of like 60 mph on the highway...could these be a result of the AIR system?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
86CutlassUCF said:
Im thinking about just returning the after market cleaner(not installed yet) and keeping the whole AIR system but the previous owner got new signle exhaust and it does not have a cat converter. If im going to keep the whole AIR system will i need to buy this? Im not too worried about gaining performance by taking the AIR system away. I just want my car to run good. If it runs good with out the system, ok. If its not going to run good with out the compleye system, then ill keep it. Right now it is missing the belt to the pump and it does not have a cat converter. Ive been having problems like rough idle and even the car shutting off at speeds of like 60 mph on the highway...could these be a result of the AIR system?

Don't worry too much about those vacuum lines, your best bet would be to invest in a new carburetor from Edelbrock or something similar. Rebuilding the carb and making the air pump functional/installing vacuum lines/cat converter is reversing the efficiency of the engine, not a good idea.

I don't believe this system controls all the vacuum circuits, but if your A/C and heater switches over/functions then they are two different circuits. Your car shutting off in high gear and idling problems I would guess is due to vacuum. Follow the transmission vacuum too and see if it's on the same circuit as the air pump/AIR system.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
huh

custom442 said:
86CutlassUCF said:

Don't worry too much about those vacuum lines, your best bet would be to invest in a new carburetor from Edelbrock or something similar. Rebuilding the carb and making the air pump functional/installing vacuum lines/cat converter is reversing the efficiency of the engine, not a good idea.

I don't believe this system controls all the vacuum circuits, but if your A/C and heater switches over/functions then they are two different circuits. Your car shutting off in high gear and idling problems I would guess is due to vacuum. Follow the transmission vacuum too and see if it's on the same circuit as the air pump/AIR system.

The air pump on the engine does not control any vacuum systems. It's only reason for being there is to pump air into the exhaust to give you better emissions. If you have the old carb on the engine it is a feedback type carb, it is worth rebuilding if you know how to rebuild it. The efficiency of the engine has everything to do with the cat converter/air pump/and carb, if it's stock. Your engine shutting off going down the road sounds more like an electrical problem or a vacuum problem which has nothing to do with the air pump.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
So if I have a whole AIR pump system and no cat does that just mean the AIR pump is useless? Im so confused some people say NO!!! dont take it off your car will run like crap and some say its ok just cap everything up. I live in FL so emmisions dont matter. The pump i have on there is broken with no belt and i dont even have a cat converter now so the most cost effective for me would just be to remove the whole thing.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yeah, take it all off!
i just took it out over the weekend,
but i still had the cat in, and if the cat is still there the car runs like crap
So i took it out, and its def. runnign better now,

Although, the car dosnt seem to have as much get up and go now as before..
Could the timing be off,
With the removal of the belt?
Also at the same time i also did a full tune up, so im thinking
i prob have to time it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor