AIR system delete with the CCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Where do you live. I am in Ontario Canada and if you are near me I could use all that air pump stuff.
As long as the Cutlass came with a Chevy engine, then it should fit. Otherwise, if it was an Olds 307, the Olds brackets are different. Pump may be the same, but brackets are different. Just tossin' that out there.

Reactions: 1 user

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Where do you live. I am in Ontario Canada and if you are near me I could use all that air pump stuff.
BC. Not close.

It also was damaged in removal. Some of the parts were mangled off. I didn't really look at it though because I assumed nobody would want it, nor would I get some sort of strange lecture for throwing it out.

There's a bunch of pumps on eBay. Not sure about complete systems.

Why do you need it? Has Ontario embraced authoritarianism and demands outdated and useless emissions equipment on old vehicles? Or are you doing a restoration?

Edit, my car has the Olds 307, so the rest of it doesn't fit anyway.

Reactions: 1 users

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
As long as you don't have an emissions test. Because that O2 converter is going to only do 1/2 its job. Air is injected to the 2nd half of the dual bed converter for the oxidizing part of the catalytic converter operation. The system injects air to the exhaust manifolds during engine warmup and when the engine is in open loop. It will also divert to the air cleaner when rich conditions, high vacuum during deceleration, high rpms, and when you throw an ECM code. Obviously, you don't want fresh oxygen in front of the O2 sensor, that's why it is where it is.

There's also your switching valve that during normal operation in closed loop, sends air to the cat. It also can swap to send that air to the exhaust manifolds during cold engine startup and any time you're not in open loop for whatever reason. If the valve leaks by during closed loop to start bleeding air into the exhaust manifolds when it shouldn't, the O2 sensor will react to the extra oxygen, see that as a lean signal, and richen up the fuel mixture when it doesn't really need to. This can result in higher operating temperatures for the cat, which isn't good.

The AIR system is designed to balance itself as it operates and everything in the system must be in tip top condition to work properly. The air pumps themselves are sealed and no lubrication or maintenance required. So when they give up the ghost, you have to replace it. Same with the plastic switching and diverter valves. There are check valves that often burn out and allow exhaust gases to get back into the AIR system. This isn't good either. If your AIR hose connected to the top of the check valve is hot to the touch where it hurts, or you see melted rubber, then change the check valve. Sometimes you'll hear them ticking and sound and can zero in on it. They don't last forever.

Generally speaking, I've seen too many people that don't understand the CCC system, thus they can't fix it when it messes up. 99% of the time, it's a bad sensor, shorted or broken wire. But they rip it out anyway, then wonder why their car doesn't run worth a crap.
No emissions tests and totally legal to remove on an '88. And even better is I didn't remove it, I bought it like that.

I need to do more reading on the CCC system. It's quite the bastardization. I've spent lots of time working with pre-OBD EFI/MPFI, so this thing uses similar sensors and logic, it just does it in a rather odd way. If I keep the car forever and don't want to reengine, I would probably put a TBI on it lickity split. As it is I don't intend to do anything but a basic tune up, I get there is people who are a huge fan of "numbers matching" or even of the Olds engines, but I'm not interested in adopting some other orphaned oddball, and if I want more power or better fuel economy (ha ha) I wouldn't pursue it.

87 Monte Carlo SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 30, 2022
BC. Not close.

It also was damaged in removal. Some of the parts were mangled off. I didn't really look at it though because I assumed nobody would want it, nor would I get some sort of strange lecture for throwing it out.

There's a bunch of pumps on eBay. Not sure about complete systems.

Why do you need it? Has Ontario embraced authoritarianism and demands outdated and useless emissions equipment on old vehicles? Or are you doing a restoration?

Edit, my car has the Olds 307, so the rest of it doesn't fit anyway.
Hey no problem I would never give you a lecture for throwing it out. I just try to buy up parts that will fit my car. I am not in the need for one right away, but just like to buy up the parts when they are out there for sale.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
My emission system on my 86 MCSS is all attached and working fine. I have no intention of removing any of it. I want to keep the car as original as possible. But those parts you have do have value. At my local NAPA store where i work part time rebuilt air pumps are available but they are generic. Just a few part numbers available for a variety of G Bodys.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Reading this makes me glad I kept the AIR system off the '86 parts car & bought air tub exhaust manfolds. I modified a few things the make it function simular to the pre CCC set up. All I need is the manifold pipes & some hoses. I set it up for a visual inspection so I have the parts but not needed to function at this time.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
while it doesn't have to be functional after 25 yrs here in Texas, strictly speaking (per the law) all of it has to be there with smog pump and v-belt, even if the smog pump is locked up. I spoke with the guy at the state office about this who ack'd that yes, this is a stupid requirement, but he's never heard of anyone being prosecuted for lack of it.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Massachusetts,NY,of course California( oh God for bid!) are coming down hard on it. If NH does I’m going to a car year they can pick on and put the body on the frame I have.
I live in in Massachusetts and nothing has changed when comes to emissions or coming down hard on it. If your vehicle is 15 years or older they don't check for emissions just safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor