Airbag compressor caught fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Hello forum, posted here mostly on my MC, hopefully i can get some help with this issue.....my friend has a 2003 silverado 1500 with airbags, and today we switched a bad compressor out. Sounds easy, and it was, until we aired up the tank and started hitting switches....and the compressor air outlet line caught fire. At first we thought something was touching metal (compressor mounted to frame) but only one side was doing it, and the fire started from the outlet. I havent heard of this happening before,and am stumped. Any gurus out there familiar with this issue? Any insight be appreciated.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds like a defective pump. Return it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
We mounted them to the frame next to where tow bar would mount up, ran a braided line through a frame jig hole, and first it caught fire there and then caught fire at the air outlet line so i dont understand where we might have done something wrong....teflon tape? Other forums i read talk about oil and heat from the motor catch fire, not sure if that applies to these pumps

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
We mounted them to the frame next to where tow bar would mount up, ran a braided line through a frame jig hole, and first it caught fire there and then caught fire at the air outlet line so i dont understand where we might have done something wrong....teflon tape? Other forums i read talk about oil and heat from the motor catch fire, not sure if that applies to these pumps
Also the braided line was hot once we hit switches

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Hard to tell but sounds as though the ground was running through the stainless line and not the wiring. The line would carry some heat as that's a byproduct of compressors but not enough it should catch fire.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Hard to tell but sounds as though the ground was running through the stainless line and not the wiring. The line would carry some heat as that's a byproduct of compressors but not enough it should catch fire.
My friend says the same and suggested a different material air line, but like i said only one side caught fire, and at two different points. The other compressor worked today fine, and the damaged one is still working, not throwing hot air or a flame so idk wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor