Alternator Brush Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
In the process of getting my 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic in good enough shape to pass PA Enhanced Salvage Inspection. Just had the engine replaced, was running great after for a couple weeks but am now having some issues indicative of alternator trouble. Radio and headlights cutting out, back on when I accelerate, accelerating sluggishly when initially driving, etc.

As it has 91k on it and the battery and alternator passed the mechanics voltage check Im hoping the brushes are just a bit worn out, either way about time to replace them. Think I'm good on the how of replacing them with the resources online but unclear on which ones to buy. Only indicator of model Im seeing is Delco A 13 stamped on the side but this isn't returning much via google.

Is there a more specific model designation I'm missing somewhere on the alternator? Should I replace the bearings as well or will giving them a good cleaning be sufficient?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Your car came from the factory with a 12si style alternator with the internal regulator plug at the 9:00 position for applications with A/C. For typical G-body Olds V8 configurations, the threaded bolt hole is on the bottom, and the pivot bolt is on the top.

When they typically do "clock positions" for regulator plug positions, you would place the threaded hole straight up (upside down for an Olds V8) and looking from behind, you would want the plug at the 9:00 position, or to your left. Now, to mount it on an Olds V8 G-body, you would have to rotate the alternator 180 degrees, then the plug will be on the right. So you end up where when the threaded hole is down, the plug would face inside toward the engine, where it should be. I know it's convoluted description, but hopefully you followed that.

This is where you want your regulator position.

alternator clock position for Gbody Olds V8.jpg

GM p/n 19135747. Reman ACDelco unit. 78 Amp, 12si, 3:00 regulator position. $49.99 at Summit plus tax/shipping. It's $45.79 before the 5% Rockauto.com discount over at rockauto. $43.50 if you use the 5% discount code, then add tax and shipping. You couldn't get back the time and trouble for fifty bucks by just replacing it rather than rebuilding one. Unless you just want to.

Others may tell you to get the 8 million amp CS130 versions of this, that or the other. I say do whatever you wish, but unless you're running a lot of parasitic devices like huge amps and such, there shouldn't be a need for anything more than 78 Amps. I'm simply giving out information of the recommended GM replacement for your car. It should fit and function like original. (BTW, the original p/n that came from the factory was 1101303.) Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Your car came from the factory with a 12si style alternator with the internal regulator plug at the 3:00 position for applications with A/C. For typical G-body Olds V8 configurations, the threaded bolt hole is on the bottom, and the pivot bolt is on the top.

When they typically do "clock positions" for regulator plug positions, you would place the threaded hole straight up (upside down for an Olds V8) and looking from behind, you would want the plug at the 3:00 position, or to your right. Now, to mount it on an Olds V8 G-body, you would have to rotate the alternator 180 degrees, then the plug will be on the left. So you end up where when the threaded hole is down, the plug would face outside toward the battery, where it should be. I know it's convoluted description, but hopefully you followed that.

GM p/n 19135747. Reman ACDelco unit. 78 Amp, 12si, 3:00 regulator position. $49.99 at Summit plus tax/shipping. It's $45.79 before the 5% Rockauto.com discount over at rockauto. $43.50 if you use the 5% discount code, then add tax and shipping. You couldn't get back the time and trouble for fifty bucks by just replacing it rather than rebuilding one. Unless you just want to.

Others may tell you to get the 8 million amp CS130 versions of this, that or the other. I say do whatever you wish, but unless you're running a lot of parasitic devices like huge amps and such, there shouldn't be a need for anything more than 78 Amps. I'm simply giving out information of the recommended GM replacement for your car. It should fit and function like original. (BTW, the original p/n that came from the factory was 1101303.) Good luck.

Ok, cool. At that price thats definitely the move. Only thing I run is the stock sound system and occasionally a phone charger. Going to rebuild the alternator for a spare when I have more time though. No sense in trashing it. Thank you for the info.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If anyone finds their clock positions to be where they don't want them, it's easy to fix on a 12si. I wouldn't recommend it for a warranted alternator as I'd send that one back for the correct clock position, but if you had to, you can reclock one yourself with a WD40 spray tube, or fat round toothpick, etc., and removing 4 screws.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OOOOFTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bad!

I blew it. I had my mind on 71 442 alternators when I answered this about clock positions. I don't know WTF I was thinking. On the 71 455, the regulator is facing outwards toward the battery.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE for your G-body Olds V8. When installed, you can't readily see the regulator plug. For S&G's, I pulled out one of my ACDelco rebuilt units this morning to check on the pulley lock washer and nut arrangement and realized I gave you the wrong clock position. It should be at 9:00, not 3:00. Then I immediately thought of this thread. I added a picture of what yours SHOULD look like back in my post.

All is not lost if you get the wrong clock position. It should still work by either moving the wire if you choose or re-doing the clock position. I went back and fixed the thread.

In either case, I gave bad advice and I do apologize.

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
OOOOFTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bad!

I blew it. I had my mind on 71 442 alternators when I answered this about clock positions. I don't know WTF I was thinking. On the 71 455, the regulator is facing outwards toward the battery.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE for your G-body Olds V8. When installed, you can't readily see the regulator plug. For S&G's, I pulled out one of my ACDelco rebuilt units this morning to check on the pulley lock washer and nut arrangement and realized I gave you the wrong clock position. It should be at 9:00, not 3:00. Then I immediately thought of this thread. I added a picture of what yours SHOULD look like back in my post.

All is not lost if you get the wrong clock position. It should still work by either moving the wire if you choose or re-doing the clock position. I went back and fixed the thread.

In either case, I gave bad advice and I do apologize.
All good, thanks for updating. Very short commute so havent purchased yet. New to all this, believe you're saying the model number you provided is correct and I just need it in the 9:00 instead of 3:00 position? Or that I need a 12SI housed, V-Belt in a 9:00 position but model number and amperage can be different? Bit confused as when I enter my cars info into the compatibility search its showing me results with different clock positions and pulley types but there was only one model type released that year.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unless you want a 3:00 position plug, don't get that one I mentioned previously. Your best bet is to find GM p/n 19135748.

Hmmm...Rockauto.com shows ACDelco is having instant rebate of $7.00. Core charge is $7.00. Price is $49.99.

Thus, $49.99 plus applicable shipping/taxes. But with the 5% discount code, it's $47.49 plus shipping/tax. Can't complain about that for an ACDelco reman. (Don't ever get a Bosch rebuilt)

It's 78A and clock position is 9:00. Just where you want it. Study the pic below. It's got the threaded hole at the top. THIS is the clock position you want. I'm sure of it this time. :)

ado-334-2190_yj_xl.jpg

The 1987 and 1988 original alternator numbers were 1101303, 78A. The replacement at the time was a 1101324, with 94A. If you want a 94A you can certainly get one and it will work.

Here's the 78A that would exactly replace your original one:

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Unless you want a 3:00 position plug, don't get that one I mentioned previously. Your best bet is to find GM p/n 19135748.

Hmmm...Rockauto.com shows ACDelco is having instant rebate of $7.00. Core charge is $7.00. Price is $49.99.

Thus, $49.99 plus applicable shipping/taxes. But with the 5% discount code, it's $47.49 plus shipping/tax. Can't complain about that for an ACDelco reman. (Don't ever get a Bosch rebuilt)

It's 78A and clock position is 9:00. Just where you want it. Study the pic below. It's got the threaded hole at the top. THIS is the clock position you want. I'm sure of it this time. :)

ado-334-2190_yj_xl.jpg

The 1987 and 1988 original alternator numbers were 1101303, 78A. The replacement at the time was a 1101324, with 94A. If you want a 94A you can certainly get one and it will work.

Here's the 78A that would exactly replace your original one:

Thanks! How were you able to find this?? I used their car model search, selected my engine type and it only shows me the 3:00 position one, serial number ending in 89 instead of 90.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I searched for the 87 model. They used the same factory alternator. It will bolt right up without any fanfare or moving the clock position, and you will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor