Alternator differences???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
10 SI and 12 SI should mount the same.

CHeck out the online version of the powermaster catalog, that will have everything you ever wanted to know about alternators

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They mount the same. The 12SI has a more open back and better cooling fan and can run more amps. I have found the 10SI only last a couple of years with 100+ amps.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You want a 12SI. Although both will fit and function almost the same. 10SI is limited, though.

The old parts catalog lists a 94A for the 305 Chevy engine G-cars as well. 10463060 superseded to 19151862. I think it's 12:00 position for the regulator but you can always loosen the bolts and put it where you want if you need to change it.

GM seemed to only put NEW alternators on at the factory. Also seems all parts catalogs show remanufactured units by ACDelco, as they have been for many years, but it's also showing all above numbers are discontinued from GM. Beware of the clones. There are "NEW" alternators out there that look almost exactly like the GM stuff but they're not. GM hasn't sold a new alternator across the parts counters in many many years based on my information. If ACDelco isn't cast into the back, it would make it on my "Not too sure about this" list.

There are options for stock alternators based on what you need. Obviously for custom stuff, you'll likely need to go aftermarket or modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor