Alternator Keeps going out

Status
Not open for further replies.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
so i'm still having alt issues...i took the car to the Alternator shop and the guy checked it with 3 different methods and said it wasn't working. so i take it off then take it back to him, he puts it on his machine and it works...so he tells me to put it back on and bring the car back up...i don't want this guy working on my car...i have to much expensive stuff and he seems like a roughneck type of guy who would scratch all my sh*t up...I drove my car the other night and while in park rev'd it a lil, to see if my headlights got brighter and they did so the alternator was working...i take off then about 15 min later on the other side of town, i noticed my interior lights dimming, so i hop on the highway and try to make it home...halfway all my interior lights are off and the headlights are barely on...the car dies...so i get my cousin to jump me and take it home...its pissing me off!

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I didn't see your previous post, so I don't know what you've already done. Pardon me if I rehash old stuff. First, I would load-test the battery. If it worked fine after a jump, all the alternator power can't offset a bad battery cell. Second, are all connections and grounds good? Get rid of any bolt-on terminal ends if you have them, and get some fresh cables. Make sure grounds to both engine and body are good. Hook a voltmeter between the alt. positive terminal and engine block, and compare to a reading across the battery terminals. If there's any discrepancy in the two, you're bleeding off voltage from the source (alternator) to the destination (battery). Again, sorry if I'm being redundant, but it's not uncommon for our 20+ year old cars to have connection issues.

Bill

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would check all the wires on the big positive post on the starter solenoid. Sadly, I forget how to do a drain test on the different circuits, but there is a way to test by pulling individual fuses until the reading on a volt ohm meter does something. Perhaps someone will be able to post it. I am also moving this post to the appropriate subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor