Alternator noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
I'm trying to figure out why at times when cat is idling the alternator makes like a whirring squealing noise doesn't happen all the time.I've had it tested numerous times in the car and bench tested as well and was good all times....any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated...thank you.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That could be caused by a weak battery causing the alternator to overwork, or poor battery connections

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It could just be the alternator then with the components making noise. I had one like that and it was working perfectly but the stupid thing would just whine all day long...and it wasn't the belt or bearing

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah it happens once in a while just irritating me..so maybe a new alternator or replace certain parts

I would check the ground wires coming from the battery to the engine and body. Mine would whine nearly all the time....

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Will do...usually when I'm at a stop and starts doing that usually brake and give it a little gas so it stops, embarassed by it.Thanks for the help post if it stops.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That could be the belt is slipping a little in certain circumstances. If it's the serpentine belt I would tighten it a little

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I have replaced 2 alternators with the same issue. I noticed the whine too and it was worse if I was using accessories like the lights, radio, etc. In my case the battery was either new or checked out as ok like yours. Putting in the new alternator and no more whine. Did not have any further charging system issues.

It is good advice from pontiacgp in checking your wires. Other cars I have looked over had buildup on their battery connections and bad cables which caused charging issues.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Come to think of it I think the pulley is a little wobbly when it's on that can be the cause and the to check belt for any wear and tear..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor