alternator problem update, wtf's going on?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
so far i switched out the battery with one i know is really good, went and bought a new alternator and slapped her in, and its still charging no more that 13 volts and sometimes at red lights with the headlights, heater, and radio going, it starts creeping below 13 to around the 12's. anyone know what might be causing this? the parts guys said this alternators supposed to work on any cutlass 305. everythings stock and original and i dont have any amps hooked up, or anything else for that matter.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
well the alternator is certainly not charging. you should be looking at 15 volts if the alternator is working. those voltages mean your alternator is never working

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Have you checked the voltage with a meter across the battery?.
You may not be getting an accurate reading from the in dash gauge.

It should keep voltage between 13-15 with lights, fan etc on when idling, if you have heavy consumers such as a monster amp you might need a more powerful alternator.
Does the belt sqeal or squeak when it's idling?, that would indicate the belt slipping.

Roger.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i cleaned the ground cable at the battery (both + and - were really clean to begin with) i also tested the batterys with a load tester and found the old one was weak but the newer one i put in is fine..it actually said the battery had almost 13 volts while being disconnected from the car. theres no amp hooked up but all the wiring is there and the belt had good tension. doesnt squeel or slip.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sound like your alternator isn't get excited. Does the red light come on for the alternator when your starting the car?. If that bulb is burnt out or if there is no current going to the alternator to excite it the alternator won't charge.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
just the bulb in the dash will cause that? i switched them all to blue lights when i fixxed the dash but im pretty sure they all work. (they're maaybe 2 months old) atleast they were a few days ago when the problem first started cuz before i changed the alt. and the battery was draining the light came on. ive had burnt out dashlights before tho and it never caused anything like this...i checked the power wire that comes off the battery cable to the alt. and it has power as well as the 1 of 2 wires at the alt. clip. not to sure where that one goes those.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
maybe i could just promise it a nice dinner?? :rofl:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if there is no current going through the light there is no current going to the alternator to excite it and the alternator will not work

ChargeCircuit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor