Alternator problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanmjw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2016
hi I'm new here I'm in the middle of putting a lq4 in a 84 Monte Carlo ss I am using the alternator I got with the motor it is a single wire plug alternator but my problem is the person I got the car from cut the wires under the hood all up. I need help I have no idea witch wire I need to hook up so the alternator will charge. I have the 8g main wire ran to the battery I just don't know witch wire I can run to the plug to tell the alternator when to charge sorry if the post is confusing I hope some one can understand it and help me also there is like a 10g pink wire that has 12v does anyone know what that wire is for

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
hi I'm new here I'm in the middle of putting a lq4 in a 84 Monte Carlo ss I am using the alternator I got with the motor it is a single wire plug alternator but my problem is the person I got the car from cut the wires under the hood all up. I need help I have no idea witch wire I need to hook up so the alternator will charge. I have the 8g main wire ran to the battery I just don't know witch wire I can run to the plug to tell the alternator when to charge sorry if the post is confusing I hope some one can understand it and help me also there is like a 10g pink wire that has 12v does anyone know what that wire is for
From my experience, that pink wire should be for the hot wire for the distributor from the original motor. The best thing you can do, spend 25 bucks and buy a g body chassis manual/chilton/haynes book. Or at least try and find an electrical diagram of the engine compartment.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
gm1wire.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Ryanmjw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2016
Thanks for the help I got it figured out thanks a lot guys.the kid I got the car from cut the wire from the main harness at the fire wall for some reason a guy close to me with the same care came over and let me look where his wire ran. It was a huge help now it's charging great

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe it helped excite the voltage regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor