Alternator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Hey gents

so i was driving the regal yesterday and i noticed the battery gauge never jumped up. It stayed approx 12.1 or 2
Last time it didnt jump up to over 13 until i was driving at 55 mph. I parked for a few to run in the supermarket and when i came out i got tick tick tick then start. It struggled. At first i thought starter. I put the battery on the trickle charger overnight and she started up today

so my question is why isnt the alternator charging at 35-45mph or lower RPM? Obviously the battery needed it

could it be faulty or is this how they are designed?
Thx

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would try a new voltage regulator first. My last 94 12si reman alternator wouldn't charge unless I revved it up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't trust the stock gauges to give more than an estimate on what the alternator is doing

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I would also recommend checking your grounds. Cars get as old as ours are, those grounds ain't what they used to be.

Takes about 10 minutes to remove them, clean them up and put them back.. Solved quite a few of my electrical gremlins.

-Gonz

Reactions: 2 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
That's how mine operates too. Stays around 12 or below until a certain RPM and then jumps to over 13. Not worried about it.
problem is if i dont hit that RPM, like over the weekend, the battery will run down and die on me. i dont drive it often and not on the highway.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I would also recommend checking your grounds. Cars get as old as ours are, those grounds ain't what they used to be.

Takes about 10 minutes to remove them, clean them up and put them back.. Solved quite a few of my electrical gremlins.

-Gonz
i did that on most of the grounds i found when I pulled the motor

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't drive it before fixing the problem, a bad alternator is hard on the battery and could ruin it. Most retail places will test your alternator and you can buy what you need to fix it or buy a new/rebuilt alternator. I deal with a local shop who rebuilds alternator and starters and I find him better than any retail store

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor