Alternator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I wouldn't drive it before fixing the problem, a bad alternator is hard on the battery and could ruin it. Most retail places will test your alternator and you can buy what you need to fix it or buy a new/rebuilt alternator. I deal with a local shop who rebuilds alternator and starters and I find him better than any retail store
as usual, I should have listened to my father back in August. he told me he thinks the voltage regulator was bad (he gladly reminded me yesterday) but since I saw it charging i thought he was wrong. well the alternator shop I bought it from gave me a 1 Year warranty that EXPIRED the end of October. i missed it by 18 days.. Im such an idiot.

I called them, he said they will work with me so tomorrow I bring alternator and receipt back and hope they take care of it.

we shall see

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
as usual, I should have listened to my father back in August. he told me he thinks the voltage regulator was bad (he gladly reminded me yesterday) but since I saw it charging i thought he was wrong. well the alternator shop I bought it from gave me a 1 Year warranty that EXPIRED the end of October. i missed it by 18 days.. Im such an idiot.

I called them, he said they will work with me so tomorrow I bring alternator and receipt back and hope they take care of it.

we shall see

if you are an idiot for doing that then most of us are idiots many times over.....:LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

we shall see
Tell them to put the 18 month smoke in it this time. The 13 month smoke doesn't work for you so good.

• Haha

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Hey gents

so i was driving the regal yesterday and i noticed the battery gauge never jumped up. It stayed approx 12.1 or 2
Last time it didnt jump up to over 13 until i was driving at 55 mph. I parked for a few to run in the supermarket and when i came out i got tick tick tick then start. It struggled. At first i thought starter. I put the battery on the trickle charger overnight and she started up today

so my question is why isnt the alternator charging at 35-45mph or lower RPM? Obviously the battery needed it

could it be faulty or is this how they are designed?
Thx
Check the belts,belt slippage can cause the alternator not to spin fast enough.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The first thing I would have checked is the voltage output at the terminal on alternator when idling, I would expect to see 14+ volts with no accessories on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Hey gents

so i was driving the regal yesterday and i noticed the battery gauge never jumped up. It stayed approx 12.1 or 2
Last time it didnt jump up to over 13 until i was driving at 55 mph. I parked for a few to run in the supermarket and when i came out i got tick tick tick then start. It struggled. At first i thought starter. I put the battery on the trickle charger overnight and she started up today

so my question is why isnt the alternator charging at 35-45mph or lower RPM? Obviously the battery needed it

could it be faulty or is this how they are designed?
Thx
alternators are most times rated at 1600 rpm up. i also deal with a independent local rebuilder and i run a cs style alternator. that 1600 rpm figure means they start their total out put at that rpm and up.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor