Alternator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Hey all, Thanks for reading. Looking for some knowledgeable advice so I figured I'd post here. I have an 83' Regal 3.8L V6. I'm wanting to either rebuild the alternator or replace it. Delco-Remy, I think it's a 70 Amp 12v. I think it's either a 10si or a 15si maybe. I'm having a hard time trying to identify it but by the case and insides I believe it's one of these. Would it be better to rebuild or just replace the alternator you think? If replace is the way to go which would be a good choice? I'd also like to install a stereo system so should I go up from 70A any if so?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20210821_190141.jpg
    20210821_190141.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20210821_190153.jpg
    20210821_190153.jpg
    917.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210815_114806.jpg
    20210815_114806.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hey all, Thanks for reading. Looking for some knowledgeable advice so I figured I'd post here. I have an 83' Regal 3.8L V6. I'm wanting to either rebuild the alternator or replace it. Delco-Remy, I think it's a 70 Amp 12v. I think it's either a 10si or a 15si maybe. I'm having a hard time trying to identify it but by the case and insides I believe it's one of these. Would it be better to rebuild or just replace the alternator you think? If replace is the way to go which would be a good choice? I'd also like to install a stereo system so should I go up from 70A any if so?

Thanks again
I’d replace it, there are people who professionally reman and sell the Delco ones, also you can get something with higher amperage too.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Adapt it to take a CS style alternator good for 160 -200 amps in the aftermarket, and they can be had with V belt pulleys. Probably not completely drop in might require some bracket tweaking / different hardware.

Or

You can get a high output rebuild kit or a rebuilt modified one like you have that's good for 120 amps.

How much stereo are you going to want?

Reactions: 3 users

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
I’d replace it, there are people who professionally reman and sell the Delco ones, also you can get something with higher amperage too.
g0thiac Thanks for the advice. I'm still looking into it some more. Juat have to figure out how much amperage I'll actually need.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
ELCAM Thanks for the advice. As of right not I'm not thinking to much, something simple. 2x 12's w/1800 watt amp. (I'm not sure about all the details with the amp.) The stereo is a regular cd dvd player that has a flip up screen. But other than that not using to much as far as accessories go. I had the system hooked up once but it kept draining my battery. So I disconnected it. I also had this shop do my valve cover gaskets and they left it a mess, smh. The loom is original and crumbled but there were wires that got knicked a just got placed wherever, etc. So hopefully I can find a short or whatevers causing my voltage light to come on. Battery tests good and so did alternator but this is the reason why I'm wanting to rebuild or replace. Lol sorry for all the info. just a lot on my hands at this time. Someone told me I have to get the inside right before I get to the outside. Don't want to be stuck on the side of the road lookin clean lol.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
g0thiac Thanks for the advice. I'm still looking into it some more. Juat have to figure out how much amperage I'll actually need.
No prob 👌And I’d say maybe a minimum of over 100 amps if you running things like subs.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
No prob 👌And I’d say maybe a minimum of over 100 amps if you running things like subs.
Ok cool thanks. Yeah not to big just figured if I'm going to replace it might as well make it count lol. I still have work to do before I get to that point. Definitely a work in progress

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If your car has power anything and A/C your going to need 60-70 amps for that. The big subs like that run on an 80-100 amp circuit.

So figure 160 amp alternator, I don't think you can get there with an SI series so figure on moving up to a CS series and 200 amps so you have room for more in the future.

Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I second the upgrade to a CS alternator. I did it last winter. Just go to RAuto or wherever and get one for an 89 Cadillac with a 307. Should be a direct fit with a Vbelt pulley already on it. then an adapter harness to go to your plug. If you want to help out the charging, extend the little red jumper wire from the plug to the stud on the alternator, and run it to the battery. This will permit the alternator to charge the battery better by remote voltage sense.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, that is the last year of the 10SI alternator. Even the 100 amp upgrade won't last in that case. The 12SI take 100 amp easy, more open back and a better fan. They fit and hook up the same. The CS series easily allow much higher amps. Here is the difference.
delcor3.jpg
delcor4.jpg
delcor5.jpg
delcor6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor