Alternator swap 83 hurst olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin(Hurst)Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2020
Put a new alternator in my cutlass. Old alternator didn’t have a tensioner bolt. Didn’t think anything of it until I slapped the new alternator in there. Can only get the belt hand tight... which despite my super human strength.... is not tight enough.

There’s no good place to jam a wrench and hold tension. Will post some pictures tomorrow when I get off work.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Worth noting: engine is a 403 but still has 307 bracket for alternator. (Learned that the hard way)

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I use a bar between bracket and alternator. Be careful to not hit the battery terminal.

Reactions: 2 users

Robin(Hurst)Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2020
Wound up putting a screwdriver through the bottom bracket and pulling as tight as I could while someone else tightened it in place. Drove it for a few days. Hasn’t moved at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My other question, did you get a 12SI replacement? There are quite a few 12SI replacement that are actually the inferior cooling 10SI housing or vice versa, a 10SI fan with a 12SI housing. GM went to the larger plastic fan and more open housing to help cool the added output.

Reactions: 1 user

Robin(Hurst)Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2020
Old alternator. Standby for new one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Your old one is 12SI, new one has a 10SI fan and probably the 10SI back as well. If it is a low amp model, it probably will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor