Alternator wiring help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
ok fellas need some help from the pros just wanna do it right the first time. So i have a lq4 carbed in a 87 monte ss im wanting to know how to wire up the alternator. Ive read that u need a resistor and ive read u dont if u have gauge so i honestly confused with so much mixed info. Here are some pics of what i have
image.jpg

This is the alternator plug for the lq4
image.jpg

Here is my original plug my car has in the harness

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Check to see if an adapter plug is available for your alternator. If your car has a charge light, then you would not need a resistor to excite your alternator...if you don't, then a resistor would be necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Check to see if an adapter plug is available for your alternator. If your car has a charge light, then you would not need a resistor to excite your alternator...if you don't, then a resistor would be necessary.
My car has a volt gauge on it but cant member if it has the charge light been a while since i drove it

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't think it matters whether you have a volt gauge or not, if there's no charge light, then a resistor is necessary. I have a volt gauge as well, but still had to add the adapter with built-in resistor.
It looks like you have the newer type alternator which I believe is the AD244. Here's a link to a company I've dealt with. They have various plugs and adapters, but I don't see one for your type of unit. http://store.alternatorparts.com/allwiringproducts.aspx?metaType=grl

You might want to call them and tell them what you're looking to do. I'm not familiar with this type of alternator, so I don't want to give you any false information.

Perhaps someone that has done an LS swap could steer you in the right direction.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The L wire is the field exciter wire that goes to the regulator and turns on the alternator field to start the alternator charging sequence. It comes from a Key on voltage source, and must have a resistor inline to protect the diodes in the alternator, and to prevent voltage feed back to the ignition system to allow the engine to shut down when the key is shut off. This wire originates at the ignition switch and is a 16 gauge brown wire that is used on the internal voltage regulated alternators in the SI seres. When converting to the CS series alternators this wire can be run to the L terminal and must have at least a 35 ohm 3 watt resistor inline to the L terminal.

The large wire in the plug is the red sensing wire that tells the voltage regulator what the voltage is on the system. It should be connected at a junction of the battery, the alternator, and the rest of the circuits in the system. When the system voltage drops below charging output voltage the regulator will increase field current strength and allow more output from the alternator and when voltage increases too much then the regulator senses the voltage on the S wire and drops field voltage to prevent overcharging the battery and the system circuits.

attachment.php

Last edited:

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the replies fellas i did some more research after i got the info from u guys. I didnt know i had the AD style alternator till u guys metioned it i found a place that sells harness adapter and i think the one i need is this one
image.jpg

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Also i checked if i had a battery or charge indicator but it didn't have one just the volt gauge and only warning lights i seen were top 3 blank
4th service engine soon
5th choke
6th brights
7th brake
8th fasten belts

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like you found your solution....ya gotta love the internet sometimes. Nice going.
Glad we were able to be of some help. :)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
From what they show, you can pretty much fashion your own, using the existing plug, pick up some proper gage wire, a resistor, and shrink tube. I'm sure you can easily duplicate what they offer.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
So i called qualitypowerAuto to get the plug in and he said i needed this plug not the one i thought he said i didnt need a resistor for my application but this is what he said i needed hope its right cause i ordered it
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor