alternator wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafael martinez jr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2017
new jersey
i have a 5.3 i put in my 80 malibu im using the truck alternator now can i use the stock wiring from the car to the new alt i have the plug to the truck alt and it has 2 wires any help thx

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a 5.3 I put in my 80 malibu. I'm using the truck alternator now. Can I use the stock wiring from the car to the new alternator? I have the plug to the truck alternator and it has 2 wires..... any help thx

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You need to find out what the wires from the truck alternator do. The factory has a large, usually red 12 volt wire, can be fed right from the 12 volt at the battery terminal, some factory harness do that. The other wire, usually brown, goes through the bulb in the dash to excite the alternator. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just looked a video replacing a 5.3 alternator. If your alternator is a 4 pin it will not work without the computer. They do have them in 2 pin which is what you need and if you don't have the 2 pin connector get one from the wreckers

Reactions: 1 users

rafael martinez jr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2017
new jersey
I just looked a video replacing a 5.3 alternator. If your alternator is a 4 pin it will not work without the computer. They do have them in 2 pin which is what you need and if you don't have the 2 pin connector get one from the wreckers
i have the two pin connector alternator just want to make sure i can use it with the stock wiring on the car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor