aluminum brake drums? core support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Aluminum brake drums came on alot of 80's Camaros and firebirds, I've also found them on quite a few late 70's Cutlasses.
Core support the only one I have found was on a 78 Grand Prix.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I have found 3 core supports all from 78-81 Pontiac Grand Am's and Grand Prix"s. Same as the drums but i have also seen them on 78-80 Monte's also.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
IIRC, aluminum core supports came only in only 5% of all BOP cars. 1978 to (?). The steel core supports was 22lbs. and the aluminum core support was 13lbs. Some minor trimming might be needed around the headlight holes.

Doug

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
1979ratrod,
FYI. If you find a car with the aluminum core support, there are a couple of other things you should look for. First, if the car has HD suspension, the "X" brace in the radiator openning may be aluminum also (it was on the Grand Am I parted out!) The aluminum "X" brace is real rare also!
Second, check the chin spoiler on the bottom of the core support! If the car is a V-8 with AC, the chin spoiler may be a little over 46" long with square ends on it! This chin spoiler is rather rare too!
Third, check the heater boxes (AC and non AC), at the 4 o'clock position, there may be a metal exhaust manifold heat shield mounted to the outside of the heater box! These shields are somewhat rare also. Some people like to use these shields when running headers.
Good luck parts hunting.

Doug

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Sorry to be hogging this thread, but I'd like to know more about the 80"s camaro aluminum rear brake drums. What is the weight difference between the aluminum and cast iron drums, is it a direct replacement for the stock G-body drum, and is the mounting flange thicker and by how much? Thanks!

Has anyone actually used these?

Doug

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
oldtinsmith said:
Sorry to be hogging this thread, but I'd like to know more about the 80"s camaro aluminum rear brake drums. What is the weight difference between the aluminum and cast iron drums, is it a direct replacement for the stock G-body drum, and is the mounting flange thicker and by how much? Thanks!

Has anyone actually used these?

Doug

X2

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I would say for just a normal street car you really don't need the aluminum drums or the core support.....These are valuable to drag cars...10 lbs of spinning weight = one tenth of a second.....and 100 lbs of free weight =one tenth of a second .......I have aluminum drums on my Monte. Haven't had the luck to grab an aluminum core support...They are bringing big bucks too, unles your lucky to find a "hidden" gem like PatMckinney did..I think he stole, I mean bought his for like $80.00 If your looking to save some weight on the core support check out Icaman racing's fabricated core support.Looke really well made and fits our cars rather well......But for a street car they aren't really necessary, only sweet bragging rights...JMO 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor