Aluminum Drive-Shaft in G-body installed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
The Aluminum Drive-Shaft was removed from an 1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2 (4.3L engine, 4x4, and ext cab). I pick up the AL drive-shaft for $40. I purchased 2 universal joints ($8 each, with my military discount). The Universal joints for both drive-shafts are the same p/n, according to the Oreilly's parts guy.

Stock Steel Drive-shaft stats: Length 54 inches, Weight 12lbs/without yoke, 2.5 inch dia. (my car is a plain-jane, 1981 Cutlass Original 350 Diesel, Th-200, 7.5 rear)

S-10 Aluminum Drive-shaft stats: Length 53.5 inches, Weight 10.5 lbs/without yoke ( -1.5 lbs less), 4 inch dia.

The only thing you need to do, is use our yoke off your steel drive-shaft. The S-10 yoke is huge compared to the G-body's yoke.

Being it is 4 inches in dia my Stock exhaust is really close to hitting the drive-shaft. Its was hitting where the exhaust pipe crosses under the drive-shaft too switch from the passenger side to the driver side. No biggie really.

Now being, all I saved was 1.5 lbs. Was it worth it. NO!!!...But, I think this drive-shaft is a lot stronger being 4 inches in dia. So looking at it in Weight and Strength, its worth it for what I have into it. IMHO

EDIT: Altho I was excepting less weight. Doing a little bit more research. The 4th gen f-body aluminum drive-shafts are only 3 inch dia. And they have problems in the racing world for twisting. So maybe this 4 inch is actually a really nice upgrade for strength to weight for aluminum.

You decide!!!!

attachment.php

Steel is .5 inches longer
attachment.php

Steel 2.5 inches dia, AL 4 inches dia
attachment.php

Reactions: 1 user

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Re: Aluminium Drive-Shaft in G-body installed!!!!

Not bad. Easy pounding the joints out of the aluminum ones, they can bend very easily

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado

Nice!! Was always wanting one for my GP but didn't know that one actually swapped in.. :mrgreen:

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct

Thats good info to know ... so everything works well? there are a ton of S-10's around here I assume it was a long bed S-10.
yhanks for the info 8)

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga

79loserbluebu said:
Not bad. Easy pounding the joints out of the aluminum ones, they can bend very easily

I used an hydraulic press and a torch too melt the plastic, that the factory uses to secure the u-joints.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga

RockSS said:
Thats good info to know ... so everything works well? there are a ton of S-10's around here I assume it was a long bed S-10.
yhanks for the info 8)

I believe, only the ZR2 models (GM's Off-road package for the S-10 also with 8.5, 3.73/3.42, 30 spline axles, and LSD. We grabbed the 8.5 for my cousin's drag truck. Its 8 inches wider then his stock 80's 2wd S-10 rear end) comes with the Aluminum drive-shaft. This S-10 ZR2 was Ext-cab.

Also my cousins S-10 driveshaft for the 85? S-10 Std Cab long bed. Is the same lenght as my Cutlass driveshaft

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
RITTER said:
I believe the ZR2 8.5" rear-end is the same width as our gBody rear-ends :idea:

IDK about that. BUT it is leaf springs an a Pan-Hard bar

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Yeah, but you could pick one up from a salvage yard and have the brackets welded to it and still spend less than you would if you bought a GN or 442 8.5"

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
And a lot of them also have 4.10 gears!

Edit; Let me re-phrase, SOME of them had 4.10 gears. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor