565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Be advised if you're going to be in a competitive heat generating environment these things grenade without much warning.

They get microcracks which are hard to see. Then some spirited or competitive driving and BOOM. No rear brakes

Edit: I actually think UNGN grenaded one..... IF I remember right

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I rebuilt my rear brakes with stock replacement parts for my Regal just to get it on the road and be safe but I would rather put the money for aluminum drums towards a rear disc conversion.

• Agree

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
I've heard that the quality of the reproduction rear drums is terrible, cracking, poor runout etc. If you really want them I would look to the below link. The guy takes stock drums, cuts the old steel liner out and presses a new steel one in, then machines. New steel liners come from a foundry in WI.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I've heard that the quality of the reproduction rear drums is terrible, cracking, poor runout etc. If you really want them I would look to the below link. The guy takes stock drums, cuts the old steel liner out and presses a new steel one in, then machines. New steel liners come from a foundry in WI.

Interesting, quick look couldn't find prices, turnaround time, etc.

I haven't heard anything much on the repro aluminum drums, I assumed not hearing anything means they are ok. I heard they might be discontinued though, they are at least on a long backorder like many other parts right now. I ordered some through Summit a month or so ago, the date keeps moving back when they will be available. I thought I'd grab a set before/if they stop being made.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I actually just talked to that business. I have quite a few aluminum drums . Maybe 25-30 of them. Probably going to work out a deal with him. I checked everyone of them with my friends brake drum gauge. I took the best two and put them on my Bonneville. I had brake chatter that felt like warped rotors. I knew my front disc were new so I ended up buying steel drums and that fixed that. With that happening, I knew I couldnt sell them so I will sell them as cores. BTW, the guy stated that the Chinese ones are junk and have really affected his business.

timo22

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I wouldn't doubt it affected his business (one reason he could be quick to discredit them or exaggerate how bad they are). I sent him a message, he said he will get back to me Monday as he is out of town. I never heard of him and wonder how many others know, not that I know everything but have been around these cars over 20 years and didn't hear of this service or at least I don't recall. If the price is reasonable and it all sounds good I'd be happy to send him both of my sets and cancel the backordered new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor