79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Where they available?

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
AFAIK, there was no option box that you were able to "check off" when ordering a GP in the late 70's - early 80's to get an aluminum hood/deck lid. I'm not aware of any aftermarket seller that has them for our G-Bodies. It would be nice to know... Maybe someone will chime in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My take on aluminum components is this:

I believe they were used when a car was equipped with a specific set of optional content OR when it's projected build weight would put it in a category where they would be in trouble with CAFE standards. There seems to be no other logical explanation for the seeming randomness of which cars have them and which don't.

'Course, i could be talking out my tailpipe and not have a clue.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I heard of an alumunum hood a few years back but I could never verify it existed.
Today I bought a 79 GP with T tops, landau, viscount seats, aluminum rad support and an aluminum hood.
No aluminum deck lid, so I cannot verify that.
Note the welds on the hood
20180427_200742.jpg
20180428_130013.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A good example of what i was thinking...lots of "heavy" optional content

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Well, it is in Iowa and 1 price drop away from a dirt track car.
Friends in TN just finished a 4 speed Grand Am I sold them and want this one to restore.
Which is all good since I just bought back an 80 Grand Am I sold a few years ago.

Reactions: 2 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I cant dispute the high option GP reveived a random aluminum hood. But the aluminum rad support has been completely random other than being only Pontiac (power)
I have a plain 4 door Grand Am, and a plain 78 GA with AL support. And found one in a 78 Regal with a Pontiac 301.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor