Aluminum Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
No they didn't all come with aluminum hoods.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not all cars came with aluminum hoods as stated. In 1984, it seemed they were more rampant on the Calais as I had seen SEVERAL examples with aluminum hoods, and some with steel hoods. My dad's had an 84 Calais with an aluminum one. You could fling the hood open with a flick of a wrist. I honestly didn't care for that.

To note, not a single VIN 9 car had an aluminum hood. The 83/84 H/O hoods were a different part number than the regular Cutlass hood, and they were all steel. Although the aluminum hood was listed in the parts book for purchase, no factory 85-87 442 has been found with an original aluminum hood to date.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
no factory 85-87 442 has been found with an original aluminum hood to date.

I think that is because an aluminum hood combined with that torque monster 307 and the 3.73 rear gears was causing too much front wheel lift off the starting line. The steel hood helped keep the front tires planted. 😂

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 15 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i think the driving force at gm was to use aluminum parts to keep the vehicle weight within certain parameters for c.a.f.e. ratings. my first and second 79 calais' were v8s with th200 trans, both had aluminum front and rear bumper inserts and hood. my 79 calais with the 260 and 5spd has steel bumper inserts and hood. my 78 salon and 79 cruiser wagon are all steel. i have parted out one 79 supreme with a v6, as well as a 79 supreme diesel, all steel. and one v8 supreme with aluminum parts.
now this does not pertain to damaged cars that were repaired. a steel bumper insert or hood was cheaper than aluminum but yet still a factory correct part to repair a damaged car with according to the insurance companies.
there was some sorta c.a.f.e to weight algorithm going on. certain options were only available through the dealers, otherwise it would push the vehicle weight up too high.
an example was when i was working at ford in the '90s, mustang v8s were not available with factory floor mats, dealer accessory only, because it would push the vehicle weight to a different classification.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Had two '84 Calais, both black with sand gray, the Diesel one with all power had all steel, the 307 one with hardly any options had aluminum bumpers and hood... both sold in Northern Illinois, not sure what GM's algorithm was but it doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor