Aluminum Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
My 79 Calais was built in St Therese Quebec and yup looks like no rhyme or reason to why or where these were used.I have never checked the trunk lid but will when it comes home again in April 2020.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My 79 Calais was built in St Therese Quebec and yup looks like no rhyme or reason to why or where these were used.I have never checked the trunk lid but will when it comes home again in April 2020.
That's the general consensus. No rhyme or reason. I can see the point oldsmobile joe used for weight, but then again, the H/O and 442 weighed more than the non VIN 9 counterpart in most cases, so you would think they would be mandated to use aluminum more in those cars, but that wasn't the case. My 84 H/O has an aluminum rear bumper support, but a steel front support. Likely due to having to drill holes in it to mount the front air dam brackets. And all this time, I've never checked the 85 or 87 442's bumper supports. Likely steel, perhaps. Doesn't make much difference to me as long as it doesn't fall off.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I have never checked the trunk lid
check it if you want, they're all steel. cutlass never came with aluminum trunk lids. hoods, bumper inserts, yes. trunk lids, no.
i believe early montes had aluminum trunk lids. never seen one though.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I had an 83 Hurst that had an aluminum hood.
Someone added it, they never came with aluminum hoods...
Parts manual states steel only for 1983-84 W40 hoods with a unique part number since they had doubled up bracing welded in on each side to support the weight of the scoop.
I had a scoop on an aluminum hood on my '84 Calais, slightly caved in the middle at the front of the scoop from it.
You can actually see the difference in hood contour between the '84 H/O and the Calais.
DSC06557.jpg

2nd82H/O

Apprentice
May 24, 2010
Sorry , but I think you are wrong . I bought the car in 1985..still had original paint that all checked evenly by 89.

• Agree

2nd82H/O

Apprentice
May 24, 2010
I would love to find that car again. The plastic on the alternator shattered while driving it and put a golf ball size bump in the hood. I think the person lived in Pennsylvania who bought it ... would love to find that car!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor