Aluminum Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

emperorbrownsuga

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2012
Too bad we couldn't have an old head GM corp or engineer chime in to tell us the rhyme or reason. Sure it was EPA/mpg related.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Too bad we couldn't have an old head GM corp or engineer chime in to tell us the rhyme or reason. Sure it was EPA/mpg related.
But how would they know? It comes back to randomness. Let's say they give you aluminum parts on your 307 84 Calais (My dad had one with an aluminum hood). It rolls off the line, onto the truck/train and off it goes. Delivered to the dealer, then customer. Why do they care if it has a steel or aluminum hood? The next car they sell may not. I mean, they did it, but didn't do anything with the end use of the car. Not once did GM ever contact my dad about what his mpg was or anything else. And it wasn't like they could pull up the OnStar report from it back then.

If it had ANYTHING to do with the EPA/mpg situation, it was a calculation saying upfront something like "Ok, EPA. We'll build (fill in a number) of cars with aluminum parts so we can calculate our CAFE will be such and such..." Which I doubt, but it's the only way that would make sense. Basically a calculation, not a real-world situation. They put an RPO on each car to designate to the line guy to pull and install an aluminum part. But other than that...they hardly kept any records of which cars got which RPOs. Nowhere I've seen a GM stat that said they built 4,200 1984 Calais with an aluminum hood. Strange thing was, you could buy an aluminum hood over the counter at the dealership. I ended up buying a steel hood though. Kinda glad I did. But should have bought a few aluminum ones too. I could probably have flipped them for some big $$. Hindsight's 20/20.

Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Good point! Unfortunately from the engineers, right down to the assembly line workers at GM, the left hand dint know what the right was doing.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I can confirm the randomness. My first 79 Cutlass Calais (acquired in 1984) had an aluminum hood. My second 79 Calais (acquired last month) has steel. The aluminum hood model had a 305, the steel hood has a 260 diesel.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor