Aluminum intake prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
My buddy went to oreilly the other day to buy a 200.00 off the shelf Edelbrock aluminum intake. Nothing special, just the EPS intake. It is now 449.00. I haven’t looked around at summit or any others but that is ridiculous. Anyone else notice this price increase?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Summit still has the Edelbrock 2101 intake for 192.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
retail prices @a retail location.
7C19F83C-B10D-48CE-9D77-501BF1EC502D.jpeg

Most of the aluminum price increases you’ll see are a result of that and ‘Rona. Manufacturers are hedging their profit margins.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
"Summit still has the Edelbrock 2101 intake for 192"
it's across the board,stuff's been cheaper on line than in store-for years.

Reactions: 1 user

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
At this point in life there's enough used intakes out there to pick a nice one up for well under 100$

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
View attachment 154190

Most of the aluminum price increases you’ll see are a result of that and ‘Rona. Manufacturers are hedging their profit margins.

Even if the price of aluminum increased 2 or 3 times what it is... It wouldn't make an intake go from $200 to $450... The spot price on aluminum is like 85-90 cents a pound, at most it would add maybe 10-20 bucks to the cost of an intake.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Even if the price of aluminum increased 2 or 3 times what it is... It wouldn't make an intake go from $200 to $450... The spot price on aluminum is like 85-90 cents a pound, at most it would add maybe 10-20 bucks to the cost of an intake.
Stop making sense...(not Talking Heads)

My guess is whatever vendor they're using to make the manifolds is having issues getting the aluminum product to the market. Whether shortage of materials, or shortages of labor, whatever. There's something driving up the cost and it may not be obvious to the end user. It could be a conscious decision for some vendors, and as usual, others follow suit sometimes. But you also have to look at whether someone is selling for full suggested retail price or not. Box stores usually go max price for stuff. Not always, but usually.

Amazon, Summit, Jeg's, et al, sell them for the 192 mentioned. So DON'T pay the 400 plus. I wonder how many idiots buy those intakes from the box stores for that price anyway? It's not like an immediate emergency purchase item anyway. I remember the days of old when speed shops were almost everywhere. Hurst dual gate shifters and 4 speed shifters and Lakewood bellhousings, stewart warner gages, etc., were adorned on the pegboard wall in the back behind the counter. You could even buy M&H drag slicks at the shop. Some shops sold at full retail, and suffered. Because there was only mail order back then (2-3 week shipping times were common!!!) or go to another town which sold the same stuff at a discount.

grampa yelling.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
That tariff alone? Not likely, it’s more Edelbrock most likely having their foundry shut down, or at least in a very reduced capacity due to corona. Heck, before this crap started, the prices for the mustang rotors I needed were like $20-$30 a piece depending on who was giving me a discount, now they’re more like $50 a piece everywhere I go.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor