Aluminum/lightweight hood pop up springs Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Based on some digging for information on A/G Body aluminum hood pop up springs, I found some information that MAY be useful to some with lightweight hoods or factory aluminum hoods and need a hood spring. The steel hood spring (GM p/n 325271) assumingly is a bit strong for this application. The part numbers below are superseded or interchangeable part numbers according to GMSPO. Keep in mind supersessions and interchanges means the part should fit and function, it does not mean it's EXACTLY the same as the factory part. Usually it is, but sometimes, it's not, at least in appearance.

FOR ALUMINUM HOODS ONLY!!!!!!!!!-- GM p/n 556632, then to 14061819, then to 10179200, and finally to 15018459. IF you're searching for new. In fact, the 15018459 is still available at the GM dealer for $6.97 list price (once the strike is over).

If you're junkyarding, you can usually find them on 3rd gen F-body, and (this is unverified but evidence suggests) up through 2005 S10 and Blazers, and Astro van. Not sure what else they're found on.

So if you have an aluminum hood on your 78-88 A/G Body, and need a new pop up spring, here you go. Hope is not lost.

Heard Injectedcutty and/or JAMCAR223 may be looking for one?

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I actually have a hood spring out of a Jeep Wrangler. It has a cute little rubber stopper on the end to protect the paint of the core support. However, it's barely strong enough to pop the fiberglass hood. I actually plan on adding a spacer between the mount and hood to try and increase the tension so it'll pop the hood more when released.

• Optimistic

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Put these in there! :)

SPS-24640_ml.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Thanks for thinking of me. My hood actually came with the factory spring, latch, and correct hinges that are also supposed to be specific to the aluminum hood. Want to spend a few minutes researching that?? I did run the part# you supplied for the spring, and it's also available from my employer ( Amazon ) for $9.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for thinking of me. My hood actually came with the factory spring, latch, and correct hinges that are also supposed to be specific to the aluminum hood. Want to spend a few minutes researching that?? I did run the part# you supplied for the spring, and it's also available from my employer ( Amazon ) for $9.
The hood hinges are the same for steel or aluminum. EXCEPT for the round spring. It's thinner. Same windings, but thinner metal.

They come in two parts. The rear hinges themselves, and the "hinge assist linkage" in the front which contains the spring. I just call the whole front section the spring. The rear hinges are all the same. The assist linkage/spring have different part numbers.
ALUMINUM HOOD USE
LH GM # 14000197
RH GM # 14000198

STEEL HOOD USE
LH GM # 473793
RH GM # 473794

REAR HINGES (either hood)
LH GM # 463535 superseded to 14064325
LH GM # 463536 superseded to 14064326

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Very informative, as usual. I knew you would have the answers. I could tell the difference between the coiled spring when I got the hood. The seller had also stated this while discussing the sale.

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
Anyone have a pair of the rear "assist" springs for the aluminum hood? Only the front "pop-up" coiled spring is still available from GM. I'm guessing that the ones on my car (with a steel hood) are likely too strong, and might deform the skin if not handled gingerly.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used my factory pop up spring on both of my fiberglass hoods and I used a furniture leg end cap that fit well on the bottom of the spring.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I used my factory pop up spring on both of my fiberglass hoods and I used a furniture leg end cap that fit well on the bottom of the spring.
How did you mount the spring? I have a lighter weight Jeep Wrangler spring on my hood, and have problems with it popping the hood all the way. It's not near as strong as stock, and I even added a spacer to give it more tension to no avail.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor