Aluminum wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
I got some weld aluminum wheels , that could use a good cleaning.
what is the best way to clean and get them all polish up like new, I've tried mothers, but not sure i like the mess it makes

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Post up a picture of them. They may need a buffer to knock of the crude then polished out. Very messy job. Takes a long time but they look real good when done. Needed to do this on a 20 year old set of Welds Drag rims I had way back.
IMG_4069.JPG
Before....
But no after picture, due to sale of the car.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Most of the aluminum rims that I've seen have a clear coat and once it's compromised the aluminum can oxidize. I'm thinking that if your rims are polished with a buffing wheel that they will only look nice for a while before the oxidize again..

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I had decent luck with Wesley's Bleech White an electric tooth brush and some Rem - oil for protectorant from brake dust afterward

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I don't think you can avoid the mess when doing polishing you just have to prepare for it.
I polish everything with a electric buffer on a stand and have a medium wheel on one end and a softer one on the other.
Typically one of the compounds I use will cut through and get a shine and then I will finish off with a polishing compound and sometimes use Meguires metal polish or Mothers for the final polish after that.
I usually bring my buffer outside if possible because the residue will go everywhere and I wear a hoodie, leather gloves and an old flip up welding helmet with a clear lens.
When you polish something that was anodized all of that will have to be removed and smoothed out before polishing

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
well i started by using some metal polish WHAT A MESS :wtf:Did i get myself in too, it is a job. i did end up using mothers
made all the differance in the world . thank you all for your input and MY BLACK fingers :eek: well worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor