American Racing Backorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Was at the local speed shop Thursday and was told that their main warehouse that they purchase from is at approx half inventory level. Russell fittings, helmuts of any brand, fabricated steel bars, etc - all none available. He was told that last summer they worked off from built up inventory, but have had almost nothing received, hence no inventory. I heard that and made some calls about a helmut because that is one of my 'need to buy' before this season. Contacted two more shops and found one in my size in stock - drove to get it. The other two shops advised of the same thing. Also, all mentioned a steel price jump because of no production - 100-200% increase lol.

Regarding the increase in shipping costs - they are real and no one is making big money off from the increases other than online retailers with two being the largest winners - Amazon and Walmart. Fedex and UPS had contracts with each prior to Covid that allowed for discounted and free rates for the free shipping deals for members. Because Covid put these business's sales into exponetial growth, the shippers had to honor the shipping contracts. So the end result is that the cost of shipping everything else has increased 2 and 3 fold.

A heads up for would be terrorists - if you want to cripple the US, then hack FedEx's computer system - this country would come to a halt for months if not a year. This kind of stuff is a direct result of Covid, but it will get blamed on you know who. Just be ready and think for yourself when you start hearing outlandish claims that some current politician caused this. Follow the money and you'll find the cause.

Bottom line, if you can find parts that you need locally or wherever, then buy them now because it's going to get worse before it gets back to normal.

But perhaps I'm all wet and don't sh*t from shinola. Time will tell - 'hold fast brother'

Reactions: 1 user

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
Was at the local speed shop Thursday and was told that their main warehouse that they purchase from is at approx half inventory level. Russell fittings, helmuts of any brand, fabricated steel bars, etc - all none available. He was told that last summer they worked off from built up inventory, but have had almost nothing received, hence no inventory. I heard that and made some calls about a helmut because that is one of my 'need to buy' before this season. Contacted two more shops and found one in my size in stock - drove to get it. The other two shops advised of the same thing. Also, all mentioned a steel price jump because of no production - 100-200% increase lol.

Regarding the increase in shipping costs - they are real and no one is making big money off from the increases other than online retailers with two being the largest winners - Amazon and Walmart. Fedex and UPS had contracts with each prior to Covid that allowed for discounted and free rates for the free shipping deals for members. Because Covid put these business's sales into exponetial growth, the shippers had to honor the shipping contracts. So the end result is that the cost of shipping everything else has increased 2 and 3 fold.

A heads up for would be terrorists - if you want to cripple the US, then hack FedEx's computer system - this country would come to a halt for months if not a year. This kind of stuff is a direct result of Covid, but it will get blamed on you know who. Just be ready and think for yourself when you start hearing outlandish claims that some current politician caused this. Follow the money and you'll find the cause.

Bottom line, if you can find parts that you need locally or wherever, then buy them now because it's going to get worse before it gets back to normal.

But perhaps I'm all wet and don't sh*t from shinola. Time will tell - 'hold fast brother'
Still deep enough in the day-to-day to affirm what you're observing. And, yes, small business is bearing the brunt of all this, the big guys have enforceable supply agreements that stick the suppliers with commodity inflation, or, at best, have a formulaic sharing agreement, neither of which are available to our neighborhood, locally-owned stores. And the combination of the Trump Tariff Tantrums, and the growing imbalance in east-west growth and trade, is causing huge logistics issues, with shortages of hulls and containers to move stuff from Asia to the U.S. This latest round of irresponsible borrowing-and-spending is going to drive shares of Amazon, UPS, and Apple to even more ridiculous heights, and create more demand for stuff made in China, only adding to the problem. Thankfully, other people's children will have to pay for the money that's being borrowed, to do this.

• Agree

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Oh well. At least there's plenty of TP now. So if you ever do get your wheels, you can keep 'em spiffy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Oh well. At least there's plenty of TP now. So if you ever do get your wheels, you can keep 'em spiffy.

Best advice I heard yesterday - took you up on it ;)

TP Closet.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I never understood the panic of buying out all the toilet paper, there are at least 14 things to wipe my a** with before my hand if it came down to it. Hell during boot I wiped with a handful of gravel because getting my sock off would have taken too long.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I'm not completely up to date on your sizes that you ordered. If they were a custom order or a custom backspace, I do know that American Racing waits until they have a ton of "special orders" and then they re-tool for each custom set. I went through that on the AR TTII I have on my 68 Cougar. I custom ordered the rears at one point and then custom ordered the fronts a year later when I was at that part of the build. The rears took 8 weeks and the fronts took 10 weeks.

And all this was pre-Covid and pre-anything. This was 2001.

If you're order was for standard widths and backspacing, then I would just blame the whole shipping industry for being behind.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
Also another issue parts companies are dealing with is the epa and the new clean air act there passing soon in the United states. Which makes modifications to any vehicle illegal. Unless everyone bugs there politicians to pass the rpm bill so automotive industry and modifying cars is protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor