Analog rally gauges question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
I switched my idiot lights in my 85 pontiac dash (in my 86 el camino) for factory analog gauges. The oil pressure guage has never read more than 20 pounds and I am wondering if it is just a bad gauge (I've seen replacements on ebay) or if something else might be going on. I had someone at Oriley's look up the sending units for both a 4.3 and a V8 and they are the same part number. My new 5.7 engine should be at least 65 pounds of oil pressure. Any thoughts?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
My first guess is a bad sender and it has to be the right one as there is a 60PSI and an 80 PSI so look at your gauge. There may also be a thread difference

Gpdreamer

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2018
I believe the sending units for analog and idiot light are different (l checked with OReilly’s) and in my shop manual they are different. Should be two wires for idiot light and one wire for analog, but l can’t tell you which wire works. I switch to mechanical with a little modification to the idiot light cluster.

One More Pontiac...

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2019
CT
Try cleaning the sender and wire connection...the one in my GP barely worked it was so dirty. Now it reads around 40 at idle.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Ground the sender and see what the gauge does

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Be careful with a direct ground from the sensor wire. Use a test ight instead. Gauges and cluster not designed for a direct ground. Test light has some resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor