Another brake light question smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I finally got a chance to dick around with the pos in the garage to fix the random brake light issue. All my running lights around the whole car work but the brake lights are always on. No matter what I do to the switch they are stuck on and turn off with the headlights. Another thing I found out is that the hazards and turn signals only work on the drivers side and the front passenger side turn signal stays on when the switch is on for that side. I have looked through my Chilton and the wiring schematics from Mitchell but I dont have the same colored wires that are shown. My taillight and brake light fuses are good and I have traced every wire and havent found a break or loose connection. What am I looking for now? What would cause the brake lights to stay on with the running lights and no hazards or turn signals on the passenger side of the car???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it sounds like the turn signal mechanism is causing you issues. I had a problem and it appeared to be the mechanism but I found the wire for the brake lite has broken from it terminal so I just sliced it to the wire on the other side of the connection for now. I would have changed it but the unit is $58.00 here

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Are you saying the turn signal switch could be the problem? I never throught of that but how can that affect the brake lights?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
all the lights go thru the turn signal switch..I looked at the diagram when I had my problem but I didn't realise it was the turn signal switch in the steering column. love.those.g's helped me out on this one when he suggested it was the turning signal switch.

RearTurn-Hazard-StopLight.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Ok thanks for the schematic. Thats the most accurate one I have seen. So to replace this switch I gotta take apart the column im guessing??? Tomarow im gonna make my own ground for the taillights to see if that fixes anything. Right now I cant see where the ground wire actually connects to the chassis.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I guess il be picking up that tomarow at NAPA if they have it. If this doesnt fix it im probly going to go postal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that's only brains, if you want to call it that, in the liting system....and what you can do is plug it in before you install it in the column. You can manually put the 4 way flasher on and the blinkers. For the brake lites I always just pull the switch out and the brake lites are on so they easy to check to see if they work

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Actually I just remembered that I have an extra column in the attic with a turn signal switch and wiper switch. Im hoping I get the chance to swap them tomarow and see if it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor