Another carb legal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2018
Sacramento California
Hello everyone,
So I've been doing my homework on engine swaps for my 1979 el camino that came with the 305. Living in California, there sure are a lot of regulations. My original plan was to pull a 454 out of my dad' single cab 94 chevy. I think I've hit a wall with that since I'm pretty sure they consider the truck heavy duty due to the weight of the truck. So now I have my mind set on a sbc 350. Now I was expecting to have to bar and ref anything that I was going to swap in but I found this section on carbs website regarding replacement engines

Engine Change Vehicles
An engine change is the installation of an engine in a vehicle that is different from the one originally installed in the vehicle. A Referee inspection is required for all vehicles that have had an engine change.

Replacement of a vehicle's engine with the same engine size or an engine offered by the manufacturer for that year, make and model is considered an engine replacement and does not require a Referee inspection.

Now since there was a 350 available for a 1979 el camino from the factory, would it be considered a replacement engine and not have to get a ref inspection?

Thanks for any help and insight

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I believe any engine change other than a direct 1-to-1 replacement of the original stock engine is supposed to be ref-approved. If it was a factory option, and has all the factory smog and emissions equipment, you might be able to get away with just normal smog checks, as long as it passes the test.

However, they cross-check the VIN, so if you're going from say a 3.8 or 4.3L V-6, and you put a 350 in, it will show up in the VIN search that it should have a V-6. But if you're going from V-8 --> V-8, I don't know if anyone would be the wiser. 305s and 350s are nearly indistinguishable externally.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'd expect it depends what your plan is...

If you put a 350 vortec from a GMT 400 in, then switched it to a carb setup... yeah, you probably would have trouble if caught and not refd.

But if you stuck an originally carbed 350 in it with a carb on it... you're probably fine.

I'd think they will recognize the difference between a center bolt valve cover engine, or an ls with a carb, and an original smogger 350 with perimeter bolt valve covers.remember - they look at engines all day long.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Scoob - keep your fingers crossed help on the way

A new bill proposed by California Senator Ted Gaines (R-El Dorado) that would change the California smog exemption year cutoff from 1975 to 1980 passed through the Senate Committee on Transportation and Housing earlier this week. The next step for SB 1239 is to be approved by the Senate Committee on Appropriations.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2018
Sacramento California
Ahh yea I like the sound of that bill. So long story short, the engine replacement guidelines still doesn't seem real cut and dry it sounds like.

So in theory, what if I bought a gm long block, one of the most basic, ditched the heads and cam and went with carb approved heads and cam and used my same carberater or edit, I know I've seen a few with eo#s Nothing flashy and over the top. Now I'd have no idea what truck it would have come from but it would look pretty darn legit right?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
It really depends on the ref or the smog tech. Like I said, as long as you’re not going from a V-6 to V-8, you should have a fair amount of leeway, as long as you have cats, air pump, or whatever it had stock.

If you’re going to a later-model engine, remember it has to have all the emissions equipment that originally came with that engine. That includes the fuel delivery system (i.e. if it was fuel-injected from the factory, you can’t put a carburetor on it.)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
How often do you have to get it smog tested. What about having a smog engine for testing and another one for the rest of the time.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor